Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone rings twice and then nothing

FIXED
donmaico6
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Phone rings twice and then nothing

I don't quite know what you mean by star fashion but if i can explain the lay out it is as follows.There are actually five points all of them downstairs .Upstairs there are no points and the cordless phone there would appear to connect wirelessly. 

The before the master socket near the front door in the hallway has a cable attached that runs to the nearest front living room door , goes through the wall on to the first extension point which is not used. From there it would appear that  one cable runs to the master socket in the same front  room and another doubles  back through  the wall back  into the hallway and then goes round the doorway onto another point which is again unused .From there the last run of cable goes though an adjacent wall into the kitchen  where then main cordless phone is connected to the last point.

Neither of the two cordless handsets work particularly well anymore, the lcd is barely visible and voices tend to break up .The corded phone works better .

thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

With daisy chain wiring (ideal) a cable goes into one socket and another single wire comes out to the next.

With star wiring (bad) one wire goes into a socket and two or more come out to go to other sockets.

LCD displays do deteriorate but usually only after decades.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

donmaico6
Grafter

i understand . The one thing i have noticed today is that there is a ringing background sound on my corded phone when someone rings me so things are not as good as they should be. 

i suppose the next thing would be a quote to have one cable going into the house straight to the master box and then daisy chained to one other point in the kitchen, a rough estimate of about 20 -30 mtrs of cabling altogether

donmaico6
Grafter

any idea what the cost of replacing the telephone cable would be? 

donmaico6
Grafter

an update. I had in my mind that i needed an corded phone permanently connected in case of power cuts hence the extension point but as has been pointed out time, i don't .My corded phone is now kept in a drawer in case i needed it , a new  cordless phone + base station is connected to the master box which has been rewired to the pole outside and i have two extra phones situated in other parts of the house. All internal extension boxes and  cabling has been removed as they were were causing the problems i had 

Thanks for the help