cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone rings all the time but dead when I answer

sjw1979

Phone rings all the time but dead when I answer

Yesterday my phone rang and when I answered I just got the long tone when there is no one on the other end. I hung up and I happened again and again and again. It then happened in the middle of the night and I ended up unplugging my phone. I tried 1471 but it hasn't even registered that I've been called and so I'm wondering if it is a fault. Anybody had anything similar?? Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Phone rings all the time but dead when I answer

Doesn't happen much nowadays but is someone trying to send you a fax?

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
sjw1979

No that I know of but I suppose it's possible.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Happened to us a few years ago, it was a damaged external phone cable causing a short. Had to have BT engineer out to replace the damaged cable section.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there @sjw1979 I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your phone service.

I have tested your line and I have detected an Earth Contact. I've reported this through to Openreach for further investigation and the estimated response time is by the 29/03/17 23:59:59.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button