cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number formerly belonged to a business

Fawkesy

Phone number formerly belonged to a business

Hi, I've been receiving annoying calls (much like everyone else) but it's taken me almost a year since getting my home phone number to actually Google it and see if it's posted anywhere. Well it turns out my number used to belong to a pub and I am not only getting these nuisance calls that everyone else seems to be getting but marketing calls from people thinking they're calling the pub.
I'm wondering what I can do, if I can remove the number from the directories, if that's even possible?
3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Phone number formerly belonged to a business

Have you signed up to the TPS - http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps ?
That will offer you some protection from genuine UK businesses.

Also activating Plusnet call protect can help too.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Fawkesy

I have now registered with TPS (I forgot to do it when I moved) I think I have the call protect set up and I also have an answer phone which mentions that it's a residential property. I'll see if anything changes with now being registered with TPS but my number will continue being listed on the internet which may mean random calls, can I remove my number from those lists where it appears under the pubs name? Is that possible?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi @Fawkesy,

A warm welcome to the forums.

If you find your number in business directories (etc) you can usually make a report to the directory owner that the listing is wrong, asking them to remove your number from the listing.

If the pub has closed, you can also advise them of that too - that might be more effective in getting the listing removed, as they have no chance of any business interest in hoping someone will want to 'own' it and pay for the listing.

If the pub is still open, you could contact them, explain that many of THEIR listings on the internet have the wrong phone number and so THEY are losing business ... suggest to them that THEY ought to 'take a wander' around the internet and get their listings updated.

Also look the pub up on Trip Advisor and on CAMRA's whatpup.com database.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.