Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not working.

FIXED
pglover772

Phone not working.

Hi,
I have just switched over to plusnet. My home phone has a dial tone but does not call out. If I call it I get the message that it does not currently accept incoming calls. My broadband works fine. Any ideas?
Thanks
Phil
4 REPLIES 4
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Phone not working.

Hi @pglover772,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your phone service.

I have tested your line but we have been unable to detect a fault. We can still raise a fault to resolve the issue but we will need to book an engineer to do so.

Before we book an engineer, we will need to make you aware of the following checks in order to try and resolve the issue.

To confirm these checks, Please see our video and help guide. You can see this guide by visiting our website by clicking here

A brief overview of these checks are as follows. First We need to find your master socket, this is often the first telephone point where the line enters your home. If you're unsure of what that looks like, we have a guide here

When you've found it you need to make sure it's working properly, to do this we will need to do the following:

- First, unplug all other equipment from the line. Ideally, please try this from the test socket (behind the removable front plate of the master socket)
- Now take an alternate handset and plug directly into the master socket.
- Pick up your handset and see if you're still having the same problem.

If you are unable to test a second handset, you can always try your handset on another phone line to see if the issue persists.

If you have done all the above checks and the issue is still evident then we can arrange to send an engineer to you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.

My home phone has a dial tone but does not call out, if I call it I get the message that it does not currently accept incoming calls.

To be clear, are you advising that you heard the dial tone but it remains still present after pressing buttons?

Is this a phone you have used before (recently) without problems?

Is it corded or wireless?

Is it set for pulse dialling or MF tone?

Where have you switched from - a non-BT provider (e.g. Sky, Talk Talk or VM) - and did you request the existing phone number to be ported over?

@Beyhive 

Could this be a number porting issue as discussed in post #3 here - https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/I-can-make-calls-but-cannot-receive-calls-on-my-landline/td-p/1...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Fix

Hi @pglover772,

As per our phone call just now it looks like this has resolved itself and it appears there was a slight delay in the completion of the transfer over to us. Hopefully everything is now working as expected as it was indicated that outbound calls are now working too. If you do have any further issue please let us know. 

pglover772

Thank you very much for looking into this so quickly. I was a bit quick to think it was not working when moving from one another provider. All sorted and I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Phil