Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not working for nearly a week

kyber
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Phone not working for nearly a week

How long should I expect it to take to resolve a fault with the phone line? (Or at least to get some feedback on progress/next steps.)
Reported last Wednesday (Question #98433366), but have not heard back from anyone yet (other than the initial confirmation that the engineer was being called out).
We are on FTTC and the internet side seems to be working well, not noticed any significant performance issues, but we have no dial tone on the phone (tried a second phone, in the master socket as well, as per the support video guidance).
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Phone not working for nearly a week

Cheers for your time on the phone just now.
Apologies again for you not receiving an update on this since last week.
I'll be in touch again after the engineer visit we booked for Thursday afternoon.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kyber
Rising Star

Thanks for the quick follow up to the post Adam. Hopefully will all be resolved this week.
Obviously disappointed the the original fault was closed without checking with us - but appreciate that was based on process followed by BTOR engineer.
kyber
Rising Star

Looks like we are going to go into a third week. Do I get some kind of rebate?
BTOR engineer visited site (home) Thu 05/02/2015 PM - no fault inside, checked close to house outside. Needed to arrange for someone else who could check up a pole.
BTOR engineer visited near site Fri 06/02/2015 AM - found fault on line that expected was caused by damage from trees (did not say what damage was or whose trees). Need to arrange for traffic lights to control road whilst work done overhead. Likely to be sometime next week.
Coincidentally, internet has now gone down Fri 06/02/2015 PM. Rebooted BTOR VDSL modem. Not helped. (Using my tethered phone so I can keep working - not a great signal from my service provider here though).
catelliott
Grafter

Hiya,
I can see Adam is looking after this for you, so he's going to chase it up. Don't worry, you will be refunded for your downtime Smiley
kyber
Rising Star

Thanks catelliott. Wasn't really too worried about the refund, generally we haven't used landline much in last year (goodness knows why I'm on the anytime plan) but we are in the process of putting out house up for sale, so for first time in years we have been handing our number out. Bad timing!
Loss of the internet is a bigger issue as I am working from home a lot. (Doing some work for Microsoft on network integration of their globalcorporate network, ironically.)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi kyber,
I've just added an update to ticket  98433366 for you.
The lack of connectivity is likely to be due to the phone fault I'm afraid.
On the up side though I'm glad to see the engineer from yesterday has retained the fault and has resumed their work today.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kyber
Rising Star

Hi Adam,
Thanks for update, and call. Sorry, was tied up.
Yes, I expect the phone problems and internet access problems are related, although we have been without the phone since Wednesday last week, and the internet connection only failed this afternoon (the engineer left this morning). So, probably, but not definitely (worth checking internet connection from your end? just to in case it is something else).
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem,
Notes are showing that the fault should now be resolved. Can you confirm please?
Incidentally I notice that the connection is back up so hopefully that's a good sign.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kyber
Rising Star

HI Adam,
Apologies for delayed response (I'm in Seattle). Yes, actually internet and phone restored following day and been stable since so far.
Many thanks for your intervention.
Stuart
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem and cheers for getting back to me.
Glad to hear that's been sorted.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: kyber
we have been without the phone since Wednesday last week, and the internet connection only failed this afternoon (the engineer left this morning).

The phone service needs both "legs" of the pair to be connected.  In some circumstances ADSL can get away with just one of the legs connected.  Service will be very degraded but still operative.
I would guess that the engineer visit put paid to the leg which was still connected, thereby causing the internet connection to fail as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.