cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not working but Broadband OK. Is this an exchange fault?

burrowsp
Grafter

Re: Phone not working but Broadband OK. Is this an exchange fault?

Dial Tone restored so the line has been fixed overnight.
Planned work by BT, maybe?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I am with RealAleMadrid on this one - I would never refer to 2 points with 20k to 200K resistance between them as short circuit.
burrowsp
Grafter

Again, jafreer, I have no problem with your view on this.
As I said before, I am only using the terminology used in the industry. For example, Plusnet's own test result reported "LOOP CONDITION DETECTED" for this same short between the A and B legs. And the previous quote from Wikipedia states "A short circuit is an abnormal connection between two nodes of an electric circuit intended to be at different voltages."
So, that's you and RealAleMadrid on one side and Plusnet and Wikipedia on the other. As I've said, I'm very firmly on the fence with this 😉
The main purpose of my test was to prove whether the fault was towards my house or towards the exchange......and now the line's fixed without a visit to my house. Job done.
stableman2

I discovered the same problem two days ago, used neighbours [BT] home phone yesterday to contact Plusnet as we get poor mobile cover here in Cromarty, and to my horror was told the engineer would be out on 11 FEBRUARY [presumably 2015?] to check the line.
Is this deemed acceptable by Plusnet and users?
stableman2
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I'd like to think we could offer sooner appointments, but I would imagine that the delay is because of recent weather related issues.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
stableman2

I'd like to think that you ran a business in the REAL world which regularly has "weather issues" and, as I do in my business, make allowances for such issues.
Your response, sadly, is reminiscent of "we are experiencing heavy call volumes" etc etc
Time I changed provider
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

You have been unfortunate with the lead times, so my apologies for this.
Without the intention of passing the buck, we are unfortunately reliant on our suppliers for engineer lead times. In the meantime, I'll make sure we refund all downtime.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: stableman2
I'd like to think that you ran a business in the REAL world...
Time I changed provider

Clearly your understanding of the real world is limited - you might be able to change who you pay your bill to, but you cannot change who fixes the faults - BT Openreach.
It matters not (unless you can use Virgin Media) who you pay your phone or broadband service fees to, it is still BT Openreach infrastructure and engineers who deliver the physical service.  If there are no BT engineers available to PlusNet, then there are no BT engineers available to anyone else in your locality.  So short of some self felt indulgence, changing provider will make not one jot of difference to the issues in your locality.
Hope the problem is now fixed... that is did BTOR actually turn up?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.