cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not working but Broadband OK. Is this an exchange fault?

burrowsp
Grafter

Phone not working but Broadband OK. Is this an exchange fault?

This morning, I get no dial tone from the test socket on the master socket but my Broadband works fine (when master socket faceplate back on).
Does this suggest an exchange fault rather than a line fault, as it's the same two wires for both services?
ITV Player was buffering a lot yesterday evening around 9 - 10pm. Maybe this was a sign of things to come.
I've reported the fault to Plusnet (98262273 at 10:12 this morning). What are the usual response times for these sort of faults?
I have read some shocking reports of really bad communication problems between Plusnet and BT.
22 REPLIES 22
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Phone not working but Broadband OK. Is this an exchange fault?

Quote from: burrowsp
This morning, I get no dial tone from the test socket on the master socket but my Broadband works fine (when master socket faceplate back on).
Does this suggest an exchange fault rather than a line fault, as it's the same two wires for both services?

No, not necessarily. Since DSL will work on one wire, albeit at a reduced rate, whereas the phone requires both.
ITV Player was buffering a lot yesterday evening around 9 - 10pm.

And probably why you're experience buffering
burrowsp
Grafter

Presently around 10Mb/s download and 0.9Mb/s upload which is about par for my broadband.
burrowsp
Grafter

I did an online Chat with Plusnet's Support, as no response to my case.
The support guy did a line test which came back:
Test Result: Fail - Fault located at customer apparatus (appointment required)
Description: LOOP CONDITION DETECTED (UNPLUG ALL END USER EQUIP and RE-TEST)
So, would my Broadband work fine if there was a loop on the phone line?
As I mentioned previously a corded phone plugged into the test socket on the Master socket still gave no dial tone.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi burrowsp,
It looks like you've spoke with us again and an appointment is booked in for Thursday between 1pm and 6pm.
With the nature of this fault, we have had reports of the broadband being fine, and others stating that it's not working. It looks like your connection has remained up, unless you can suggest otherwise?
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
burrowsp
Grafter

Hi Matty,
Yes, I have the BT Engineer coming on Thursday.
I have just finished some testing this morning and have added the following update to the case reference:
"I have tested the line from the BT provided termination block on the outside wall of my house. No -50v DC seen on dropwire towards the DP on the nearby telephone pole i.e. towards the telephone exchange, away from my house. I do see a high resistance short circuit also in that direction so it does appear that the fault is somewhere on BT's line plant.
Engineer visit already booked for between 1pm and 6pm Thursday 29/01/2015 so I shall await their visit."

Hope this is of some help.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

It'll be of some use to us, if he's unable to fully resolve the issue on the Thursday. Keep us posted on the forum as well Smiley
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
burrowsp
Grafter

P.S. Just to confirm - The Broadband is still working. It's just the phone that has no dial tone.
AndyH
Grafter

I had the same thing a year or two ago. ADSL works on one of the two wires going back to the cabinet/exchange, but the phone line needs both wires working.
burrowsp
Grafter

Hi AndyH,
Yes, it's a bonus that the broadband still works, even though there appears to be a short circuit on the line, albeit high resistance.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Please can you explain what a high resistance short circuit is, apart from complete nonsense?
burrowsp
Grafter

Hi RealAleMadrid,
A full short circuit would be where the two wires on the phone line were making full contact e.g. fully connected together somewhere. On a meter this would read zero resistance or 0 ohms.
A partial or high resistance short circuit is where there is some form of contact between the two wires but it has some resistance e.g. damp, corrosion, underground cable breaking down etc...
I cannot remember what the reading was on my meter but it had to be on the 20kohm or 200kohm scale before I saw the short circuit, which therefore had a high resistance.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I disagree with you, a short circuit is zero or very low resistance. A resistance of 20K or 200K is not a short circuit but a high resistance path.
burrowsp
Grafter

I have no problem with your disagreement. I left BT after 25+ years as I found I was making it up as I was going along.
burrowsp
Grafter

As per wikipedia:
"Definition
A short circuit is an abnormal connection between two nodes of an electric circuit intended to be at different voltages. This results in an excessive electric current (overcurrent) limited only by the Thévenin equivalent resistance of the rest of the network and potentially causes circuit damage, overheating, fire or explosion. Although usually the result of a fault, there are cases where short circuits are caused intentionally, for example, for the purpose of voltage-sensing crowbar circuit protectors.
In circuit analysis, a short circuit is a connection between two nodes that forces them to be at the same voltage. In an ideal short circuit, this means there is no resistance and no voltage drop across the short. In real circuits, the result is a connection with almost no resistance. In such a case, the current is limited by the rest of the circuit.
"
Again, I have no problem with your definition. It is just terminology used in the industry.