cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line very noisy/faint when router on.

SnapCracklePop

Phone line very noisy/faint when router on.

Hi

Have a master socket that allows router and phone plugged in separately.  When router is on, the phone line is inaudible/very noisy and voices are faint.  Have tried different/new phone (wired). The broadband also freezes when the phone is in use.

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Phone line very noisy/faint when router on.

Hi @SnapCracklePop I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your phone line when your router is switched on. I've tested your line and the tests aren't showing any issues on the line so it's likely the router itself is the cause for this.

If you've not got another router you can try I'd recommend calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 to discuss getting a replacement as we may need to recontract you in order to send a new one out free of charge.

If you prefer and assuming you're not already using your own router, you'd be able to buy your own router and set it up using the details found here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Phone line very noisy/faint when router on.

Your description suggests that the BT phone socket has a filtered face plate. The BT network termination point (The boundary of their responsibility) is the test socket behind the face plate.

It is possible that the filtered face plate has become damaged. You should try removing the face plate and then plug a ‘danglely’ filter which cane with the router into the test socket and see if that fixes the problem before sourcing a new router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.