Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line not working

FIXED
ali_p2
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Phone line not working

Good morning. I cannot get a dial tone on the home phone - no sound at all or just a 'dee dah' (two-tone) noise. Incoming calls cannot be answered due to the line breaking up.

I ran a line test using your troubleshooter guide and it says there is no problem with the line - there is a problem if we can't make or receive calls.

The phone line appears to be plugged in properly and our broadband is working with good download and upload speeds.

3 REPLIES 3
crimsom
Rising Star

Re: Phone line not working

Hello @ali_p2 thanks for the post. From your description it appears that your phone is not working, but your phone line could be working. Try the following:- 

(1) If your phone is the type that is also plugged into the mains, switch it off, wait five minutes and switch it back on. If your phone service comes back to life, your phone was acting up. 

(2) If that did not work, remove the faceplate from your master socket and plug your phone into the test socket. If your phone service comes back to life, your household phone extension wiring has a fault that needs fixing.

Remove faceplate to reveal test socketRemove faceplate to reveal test socket

(3) If that did not work, plug in a different phone (that you or a colleague can muster) into the test socket. If your phone service comes back to life, your original phone has a fault. 

Please tell us what happened. Hope this helps. Kind regards. 

ali_p2
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Fix

Thanks, crimsom.

I have spoken to one of the customer services team and they have been very helpful.

Our computer engineer came out and looked at the phone, master socket and connections. The issue appears to have been caused by a faulty connection entering the phone handset, which he has rectified; however, the phone is old and the problem may come back so we will be getting a new phone within the next few weeks.

We have a phone that works - for now!

Appreciate your advice and will bear in mind for future reference.

KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @ali_p2

I'm pleased to read that the problem is now resolved!

Should you have any further problems, please do let us know!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team