Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line not activated

Keithyreeves
Hooked

Phone line not activated

Morning,

I've just moved house so only just had chance to connect the phone to the master socket, however am getting the error to check phone connection on my phone, and I don't have a dial tone. Ringing the house number from mobile just rings. The line was due to be activated on the 13th February (text message confirming this) with broadband to happen on the 23rd (I've not yet received a router for this). Is there anything else I can check to see if the line is working, or do I have to wait for broadband to be connected before I can use phone.
11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Phone line not activated

Hi there.

Cheers for getting in touch with us here, I've tested your phone line and that's not showing any issues. It should work before your broadband is connected on the 22/02/2019. I'd recommend trying the troubleshooting steps here and also here.

Let us know how things go.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Keithyreeves
Hooked

Thanks for the response. Have tested the socket with a different cable both with and without the microfilter and the error message remains the same. Have also tried a second socket in the property and again same error message. As it's a cordless phone I'll get a corded one to test that out and see what happens, but for now it looks to be a line issue.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No worries, if you've tried plugging a corded phone handset into the test socket (found behind the faceplate of the master one) let us know and we'll arrange an engineer visit with you to investigate this further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Keithyreeves
Hooked

Just an update. I've got an engineer coming tomorrow to test the line inside the house. Broadband was due to be activated today, I've had confirmation from you it's ready but the router is showing orange with flashing red light. Will provide an update tomorrow after the engineer has been, and we'll take it from there
abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Just let us know how you get on @Keithyreeves

Regards

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team
Keithyreeves
Hooked

So private engineer came today, and using BT test equipment found no fault with the cabling in the house, however noticed a large spike indicating a disconnect approx 33m away. Assumption that this is up a pole. BTOR engineer appointment scheduled through PN for Monday between 8am and 1pm. If the fault is found to be outside the house (which it appears to be) can I assume that I won't be charged for the period of time that the service was not working for, and that I can reclaim the money for the cost of my engineer as well?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there and thanks for the update, 

We wouldn't cover any costs for third party services such as engineers that you've arranged yourself. However we will credit you for any period of time without service between a fault having been reported with us and it being resolved. 

I'm sorry if there's any confusion on our part but we've not got as far as booking an engineer visit with you yet. Before we look into arranging that it would be best if you could test the line with a corded handset, is that something you've been able to try yet?

Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Keithyreeves
Hooked

The engineer that came yesterday undertook a test of the line from within the house, using BT equipment. There was no dial tone, and with the test equipment that he was using identified an issue 33m away. This is well outside the property boundary. Broadband is also not working (orange light and red flashing b icon), and the issue raised with yourselves yesterday also identified a no sync error. The Plusnet support guy I spoke to yesterday informed me he had booked an engineer visit tomorrow between 8:30 and 13:00.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Thanks for the update, @Keithyreeves

Could you let us know the outcome of the engineer visit once this has happened, please? 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Keithyreeves
Hooked

BTOR engineer has been to site. Disconnection of the property was identified on the pole 33m down the road from the property. Reconnection at the pole and subsequent network checks has restored connectivity.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

That's really good to see. I've just added an update to your account with regards to a refund for the downtime you've experienced due to the fault. https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=187766952

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team