Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line migration from BT to Plusnet / threat of phone number change

munkfish
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Phone line migration from BT to Plusnet / threat of phone number change

Hello,
I am currently helping my aunt with her migration from BT to Plusnet.  She was originally on a line+broadband (bb) package with BT, we initiated her migration to Plusnet line+bb around the end of January.  Her bb migration was completed last Friday (14/02/14).
Note: she was NOT under contract with BT for her services there (we had that confirmed over the phone prior to starting the migration).
Her phone line migration was due to take place on the 28th I believe, however she has just had a rather concerning (inbound) phone call from BT.  In the call the caller confirmed her 'termination of telephone changeover on 28th Feb', but more concerning is the fact that the caller suggested that she may have to have a new telephone number if she went ahead with the switch.
I'm fairly sure it was a standard call to try and dissuade my Aunt from switching since they mentioned various other factors that might make her want to stay (how small Plusnet is compared to BT, the length of contract compared to BT (18 vs 12 months) and the package charge structure (only £2.50/month for first 12 months but then £9.99 after)).  But nonetheless it is a bit concerning that they mentioned this line number change.
The issue is slightly complicated / more concerning by merit of the fact that she can also currently see an open support ticket in her Plusnet account from 14/02/14 reading:
The order for your phone service has been unsuccessful. We'll look into this and contact you if there are any problems.
[internal]
The order for this service has been rejected. Please see the install history tool for full details.

Can someone please confirm that my Aunt won't have her line number changed?  I don't know if it's 'safe' to post ticket numbers so won't do so but can provide it if need be.
16 REPLIES 16
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Phone line migration from BT to Plusnet / threat of phone number change

It is totally safe to post ticket numbers.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi munkfish,
Can you provide the ticket ID and I can have a look for you?
munkfish
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
It is totally safe to post ticket numbers.

Quote from: Linn
Hi munkfish,
Can you provide the ticket ID and I can have a look for you?

Thanks for the replies.  
The ticket number is: 81313845
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks, I've responded to this ticket now. Hope it clears things up for you! Smiley
munkfish
Grafter

Thanks Linn, that's great.
Just to confirm for the sake of this thread the response was that it was a glitch whereby a second request to migrate the line was made whilst a similar request was already in place which is why the error was received above.  Linn also confirmed that my aunt is due to keep the phone number which is the important thing.
Thanks again for the swift response Linn.
[
(EDIT: never mind re this below, I see BT took over Plusnet in 2007)
One final thing - I've just got off the line with my Aunt now and she said that BT also suggested to her that BT had taken over Plusnet some time ago (the implication being that there was no point in her changing to Plusnet because she'd still be 'with' BT).  I don't know how true that is, did BT take Plusnet over?
At any rate, if that is the case, then you'd think BT wouldn't mind if people migrated to Plusnet (ie why is he using that as a factor to try and influence her to stay with BT ... other than perhaps the fact that it's 'extra' hassle to migrate despite it being cheaper with Plusnet).
]
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We were bought by BT in early 2007 but remain operated as an independent company.
picbits
Rising Star

As above - the only funny accents you'll get when you call up for support are Yorkshire ones Wink
Generally you'll get better support with PN over BT, UK call centres (although a bit of a wait at the moment) and the package they offer is slightly better value than the ones BT currently offer.
Oh and you get to chat to us rowdy mob on the forums if you want to Wink
munkfish
Grafter

Smiley
BT just seem so sketchy with their support.  Personally I've just moved from Bethere who were excellent and if I ever had an issue (I actually probably only had to contact them twice in 4-5yrs!) then they were on the ball very quickly.  But I've had the unfortunate requirement to contact BT a few times in the last month with migrating our phone line and my aunt's phone+bb and they're horrendous!
Even the simplest thing like when your contract ends (or even IF you're on a contract) requires a phone call, and that seems to trigger an avalanche of sales pitches trying to sell you a cheaper service (mmm thanks, if the service wasn't cheap before then why were you letting me pay that much?!). 😛
Anyway, yes from what I've seen of Plusnet so far I've been very impressed, service has been great all in all.  I had to have my bb migration date moved forward by a day, which PN did to their credit.  I had actually cynically thought that the CS agent's suggestion that... he had moved the request forward and he couldn't promise it would be the same day, but it might be the same day... was just lip service, but in the end it turns out the move did go through ok on that same day.  All of which was nice and made a change from the BS you get at some places.
Don't even get me started with BT bills... I'm a maths graduate and I have trouble understanding those BT bills sometimes... 😛
Cheers.
dick:quote
picbits
Rising Star

I moved here from BETHERE too.
I only had to contact their support line a couple of times, once for trying to inform me that I could access their customers personal details, bank details and other stuff because of an issue with their website - I was told to try rebooting my router  Grin and the woman at the end of the line couldn't grasp that they had a serious issue and needed to take their site offline immediately. An hour or so later it all kicked off big time on the forums and their site was pulled.
Secondly was when I called to ask for my MAC and cancel the service.
I had very few issues with BE otherwise but started getting a bad feeling about where they were heading after repeatedly being fobbed off about FTTC. Around a month after I left, it was announced that Sky were taking them over ......
Plusnet do sometimes have issues, they do have quite a wait for support at times and they aren't what you'd class as the "perfect ISP" but as far as the overall experience goes, they are one of the better ones out there Smiley
munkfish
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
I moved here from BETHERE too.
I only had to contact their support line a couple of times, once for trying to inform me that I could access their customers personal details, bank details and other stuff because of an issue with their website - I was told to try rebooting my router  Grin and the woman at the end of the line couldn't grasp that they had a serious issue and needed to take their site offline immediately. An hour or so later it all kicked off big time on the forums and their site was pulled.

That's not good is it.  Researching this ^ I found details about how one student was removed from the Be network for releasing full details of a vulnerability that allowed remote access to their subscriber modem/routers, which I think was possibly just before I started with them.  Sounds a bit harsh but I don't know the full details.  Anyway very old history now.
I had very few issues with BE otherwise but started getting a bad feeling about where they were heading after repeatedly being fobbed off about FTTC. Around a month after I left, it was announced that Sky were taking them over ......

I was aware they were bought out by Sky of course and really just sat on my hands right up until the point that they finally advised us they were moving us to Sky 'proper', at which point I decided their offering wasn't that great at about £20/month just for broadband (I'd not realized how much over the odds I'd been paying to Bethere actually, although given the fact I think I must have had only 2 outages in the 4-5 yrs I was with them I didn't really mind so much paying a slight premium - which it was at the time I signed up).  But I didn't want to go with Sky, that's for sure.
Plusnet do sometimes have issues, they do have quite a wait for support at times and they aren't what you'd class as the "perfect ISP" but as far as the overall experience goes, they are one of the better ones out there Smiley

I'd forgotten actually the 1hr outage I had about 5 days after I signed up.  It was 2am though and only an hour or so... although at the time I was slightly concerned if this was a taste of things to come.  Touch wood there's been no other issues though since then / over the last month.
julie010469

Hi having a similar problem transferring my phone line from BT to Plusnet, i was informed the other day that our phone line had been unsuccessfully transferred over due to there being an open order on the line by BT.  I spoke to BT several times and they have informed me there is no such order or a cease on the line as Plusnet have stated.  Plusnet have said they are looking into it but say if they are not able to sort it out we will lose the line and Broadband.  I am very concerned over this is i thought changing suppliers was an easy thing to do in modern times!!!  We have an elderly parent who cant use a mobile as he doesnt understand modern technology and his only way of contacting us in an emergency or for anything he needs on a daily basis is by phone (landline) you can imagine how difficult it would be if we lost our phone service!!! can anyone advise or help with this? Sad
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi julie010469,
I've had a look into this and our suppliers have come back to us explaining what we have to do next. I have updated Ticket: 81790499 for you stating that we have now raised a case for this issue. I'm really sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. Our team will provide any updates on this ticket for you.
munkfish
Grafter

Quote from: julie010469
Hi having a similar problem transferring my phone line from BT to Plusnet, i was informed the other day that our phone line had been unsuccessfully transferred over due to there being an open order on the line by BT.  I spoke to BT several times and they have informed me there is no such order or a cease on the line as Plusnet have stated.  Plusnet have said they are looking into it but say if they are not able to sort it out we will lose the line and Broadband.  I am very concerned over this is i thought changing suppliers was an easy thing to do in modern times!!!  We have an elderly parent who cant use a mobile as he doesnt understand modern technology and his only way of contacting us in an emergency or for anything he needs on a daily basis is by phone (landline) you can imagine how difficult it would be if we lost our phone service!!! can anyone advise or help with this? Sad

Sounds like Plusnet are on the case.
It did make me think though, it might not be such a bad thing to have to take a new number if it means starting with a 'clean' slate in terms of cold callers and the like.  That said though, of course if it entails a hefty price to have the new line (and of course there's the downside of having to give out the new number to friends/family).
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Don't forget, a lot of 'new numbers' are recycled 'old numbers', you could end up with someone else's cold calls (or worse).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.