cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line.dead but broadband working

Laurawalker222

Phone line.dead but broadband working

Our electricity was off on Sunday and since it came. Back on Internet working but no dial tone on phone. If you phone our landline it rings but doesn't ring in the house and you can't phone out.
11 REPLIES 11
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Phone line.dead but broadband working

Have you reported a fault?

Your phone needs two wires to work, but broadband only one of them, although it is likely to be slower.

That said, electricity cuts don't normally affect the phone lines, are you using a corded or cordless phone?

Laurawalker222

We have cordless phones but I tried with a corded phone and the same issue. Can't report as we have no phone and mobiles have no signal so thought I would try this
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You might get lucky if a staff member sees your post.

In the meantime, have a look at the Help pages and click on the trouble-shooter link. Or try chat if/when it is available.

Laurawalker222

Have tried that and the online chat is never available.....
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Chat availability - see https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Chat-service-availability/td-p/1510365/jump-to/first-...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to the community forums @Laurawalker222

Our tests aren't finding a problem with your phone line.

Can you run through the troubleshooting steps here and here letting us know how it goes?

If you've still got no dial tone we'll need to book an engineer visit to further investigate.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf,

If the user has no dial tone ... and the phone circuit test process finds no fault ... then this is potentially a crossed line case and the line being 'successfully' terminated elsewhere ... with the risk that calls not made by the user might be billed to the user.

Is there a means by which this can be noted on the account now please, so that if an issue arises later, there is a clear stake in the ground?

Thanks.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Laurawalker222,

Coincidence of a fault like this with a power failure seems odd.  My first inclination was that the power-outage damaged the DECT phone system, but you say that you have tried a corded phone (known to work?) in the (master?) socket?

If you are certain of the phone working, there is merit on you periodically ringing your own phone number to see if anyone answers it.  There is some possibility that BTOR engineering work (or cable damage) has crossed your line with another and it is "terminating" elsewhere.  That is one logical explanation for the line test finding no fault and you would be wise to see if this is the case.

I noted MASTER socket above as I have seen similar issues with internal cable failures - router on master socket is OK but the phone when used on an extension is dead.

Laurawalker222

Still no phone line almost two weeks on and my husband has tried to phone and report from work but noone will speak to him. Bc account in my name but I have no way of phoning. Can anyone from plus net either set up an online chat as it tells me it's unavailable or email me regarding this issue
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Laura,

Plusnet cannot set up an out-bound chat.  Chat is always not available if approached from "Help & Support" - use he "Contact Us" route.

Alternatively use the phone fault on-line test / fault reporter - see link below.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Laurawalker222

From what I can see, we've since booked an engineer appointment.

I've also checked your itemised bill and I can't see any chargeable calls.

Can you let us know how the visit goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet