Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line dead but broadband still working

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Phone line dead but broadband still working

A friend of mine with PlusNet (phone and BB) has told me her line is dead (no dialling tone, unable to make or receive calls) but her broadband is still working normally.
I shall go round with some spare ADSL filters and a corded handset to look for anything obvious before reporting the fault for her, but in the meantime does anyone have an 'instant' diagnosis of what this fault could be?
15 REPLIES 15
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Phone line dead but broadband still working

Check that her phoneline isn't getting slammed.  When i first had ADSL my phoneline got cut off due to my own fault, but the order for the ADSL cease wasn't done so it was still working for a good month after my phoneline went.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
JayG
Pro

Any changes to her account/connection have certainly not been initiated by her, although I suppose you can't rule out a cease having been done by mistake.  Undecided
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

This does happen on occasion. Are you ok to PM me her landline number?
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
JayG
Pro

Thanks Matty - will do that now.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Gus
Check that her phoneline isn't getting slammed. 

Luckily it's nothing as bad as that. Looks like a loop fault (no engineer required). ERT is 12/08/15 23:59:59.
I've set up a ticket and emailed the concerned customer advising what I've done.
Matty
JayG
Pro

Thanks Matty - given the nature of the fault can you confirm there is no point my going round and changing her ADSL filters?
2u2me
Pro

Don`t think he can confirm not to take a filter , but a loop fault is like a short circuit,
usually a receiver off the hook or a fault on the extension wiring, when you ring the number
it usually  gives an  engaged tone
HTH
Cheers
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It shouldn't be necessary for now. Though if anything changes I'll let you know.
JayG
Pro

Quote from: 2u2me
Don`t think he can confirm not to take a filter , but a loop fault is like a short circuit,
usually a receiver off the hook or a fault on the extension wiring, when you ring the number
it usually  gives an  engaged tone

Dialling her number produces the usual ringing tone at the caller's end, but nothing at the receiving end (goes to voicemail eventually.).
Thanks for the assistance - will probably go and check things over and change the filters as a precaution anyway.
JayG
Pro

Just for the record, filters changed (one connected to master socket, other to hard-wired extension) - no change, broadband still works, phones still dead (tried one at a time in each outlet but nothing doing.)
2u2me
Pro

Oh well, at least you tried, you should be in her good books, and hopefully got a cuppa  Smiley
JayG
Pro

Nobody is in her good books at the moment - phone line now down for 6 days and the 'estimated time for resolution' has been and gone with no update to the ticket (#108821627) after being taken off hold at 0708 yesterday morning.
I also note that her PlusNet current line speed is 0.7Mb (normally at least 10 times that) so I'm assuming that although still working her broadband is probably only doing so on one wire.
Didn't think it was necessary to mention it, but this landline connection is vital for her to keep in touch with her 93 year old mother, and this is causing some distress, and much inconvenience and additional expense in mobile charges.
Can someone provide an update as to what, if anything, is being done to fix this fault please?
2u2me
Pro

That`s why I was surprised by the test showing as a loop fault yet engineer visit
not required? a loop fault is like a short circuit but with resistance, either on
equipment or wiring, and in my day needed manual intervention 
JayG
Pro

Don't know whether or not this is a coincidence but her phone line started working about 15 minutes ago!  Smiley
Hopefully her PlusNet Line speed will recover quickly after what has presumably been 6 days of DLM battering.  Sad