Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone goes dead or bad line

littlefoot13
Hooked

Phone goes dead or bad line

Hi,

I've been having problems on my phone line for over a week. I have 2 intermittent problems. The first is I get the dial tone, dial the number and the line goes dead. The second is if it does dial out the line is very bad and I can't hear the other person. This happens from when the phone is ringing the other end, so I, therefore, know the problem is on my end.

Unfortunately, I do not have a corded phone to plug into the master socket. 

Is there any check or anything else I can try.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Phone goes dead or bad line

I've run a line test for you but it's come back clear. What phone are you using? Have you been able to plug the base unit into the master socket?

This could be a line fault, but it could equally be a problem with the battery in the corded set.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
littlefoot13
Hooked

Hi, Thanks for the response.

I am using a Panasonic cordless phone that has 2 handsets. Both are fully charged and both have the same problems.

I have tried plugging the base unit into the master socket, but it still has the same problem.

It will sometimes dial out but more often it returns back to the dial tone after the number is dialled.

Thanks

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Thanks for getting back to us @littlefoot13. If both your handsets function separately from each other and you've tried both then we can be sure it's not the phones/base unit itself. If they both operate from the same main base unit then I can only advise at the earliest opportunity to look into trying another phone completely to see if the issue persists.

There are some further checks you could try your side as seen below if you haven't already:
https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

Although you've tried the phone set-up you have in the master socket, if you haven't already then I'd recommend trying it in the test socket to see if the same issue persists. When doing so you could even remove the ADSL filter (if you use one) and router out of the equation by jsut plugging the phone directly in and seeing if the issue continues. Setting up in the test socket can be done by plugging the connection into your  socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how it goes.

littlefoot13
Hooked

Thank you.

I will try the test socket tomorrow and let you know if it works.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers, keep us posted on how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
littlefoot13
Hooked

Hi,

I have now tried the base unit in the test socket and I am still having the same problems.

So far today I have had 2 calls which are crackly this end and one which was clear.

I can only dial out 50% of the time the other times the phone dials and then goes dead.

I hope this can be sorted out as my elderly parents will only call on the landline.

Thanks

littlefoot13
Hooked

I don't this is anything to do with my problems, but this has been posted on a Facebook page in the next village

For everyone who has been having problems with their BT landline, cracking and not connecting - of which we were one & booked an engineer - Openreach have been in touch this morning to say there is a problem at the exchange and are currently working on it, including disconnecting us for a short time. I mentioned that we were one of many in the village experiencing the same problem , but sure they are aware if others have been reporting it . So if your phone goes dead at least you know why and hopefully they will have sorted the problem out for us all !

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @littlefoot13 

I'd recommend trying a different phone handset (not from the same set/base unit),ideally a corded handset as the next step before we arrange an engineer visit to investigate further. If you'd want us to arrange an engineer, could you reply to this ticket I've raised on your account with when you would be free for a visit?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
littlefoot13
Hooked

Due to my previous comment that there is the same problem in the next village and BT are dealing with fixing it at the exchange, I will wait to see if it gets fixed. I have checked and I am on the same telephone exchange as the next village. I will keep you updated

Thanks

EdWeasley
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Hi @littlefoot13,

Thank you for taking your time to get in touch.

I am very sorry that you are having a problem with our service. I can see that you have updated the question with my colleague. If you have any further problems please don’t hesitate to reply to that.

Kind regards,

Josh

Josh Berriman
 Plusnet Help Team