cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone fault (#92025375 )

Mav
Fixes: 514

Phone fault (#92025375 )

Phone and internet working fine (had made several calls this morning) till I receive a call about an hour ago and there was a loud buzzing on the line and internet went down, too.
Connected phone directly to test socket with the same loud buzzing sound. Reported fault by mobile (answered within 5 minutes) and the ticket mentions the fault as being:
Fault Type: Noisy
Test Results: Fail - Fault located in local network
Description: FAULT - Earth Contact

Internet is back up but has dropped a couple of times since but the buzzing persists.
Just wondered what can cause this fault - there seems to be no works going on in the vicinity?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10 REPLIES 10
DanHodby
Grafter

Re: Phone fault (#92025375 )

Hi Mav,
I thought the ticket number was the amount of phone faults you had then.
It can be caused by anything, the main culprits are corrosion on the line, water, trees. Through, its just showing that the remote tests are picking up an external issue so the engineer should be able to resolve it pretty quickly on the 25th.
Dan
Mav

Cheers Dan.
I still have a dial-tone (barely audible above the buzz) and there is a voicemail message waiting for me.
Not sure if it's important but anyone ringing gets one ring tone then it cuts out but the phone doesn't ring.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

DanHodby
Grafter

Sounds about right Sad
The only thing we can do is wait until the engineer goes out on Thursday.
Mav

Just a quick question...
The phone hasn't been fixed yet and I am wondering what time the engineers may finish for the day?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi Mav,
In terms of the physical work, I can't imagine it being much later than standard working hours. I'll make sure that we chase this first thing if your line is not working tomorrow.
Sorry to hear it's still not fixed  Embarrassed
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Mav

Well after 18:00 and no fix yet so would appreciate your boot in the right direction in the morning, please.
Thanks Smiley

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi Mav,
Some strong words were had this morning and an engineer has definitely been assigned today. I fully expect this annoying buzz to be gone by close of play.
Sorry this wasn't fixed yesterday.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Mav

Hi Matty
Just had a call from OR to confirm the fault has been fixed. Great, thanks.
But what I have noticed on reconnection is that the Attenuation has increased from 49.5 to 52. Does that mean that I'm now connected to a very much longer cable to the exchange or is it indicative of another issue?

JTaylor
Grafter

Hi Mav
As we still have the phone fault open at present, I would keep an eye on your stats for maybe the next 72 hours. See if anything changes.
I would expect that you should be getting back to speed very shortly but if you find a consistent rate that is lower than what you are used to let us know.
The change in attenuation is equal to approximately 0.2 kilometers, meaning your line length is a bit less than 3.8 kilometers according to those figures.
I don't believe it is pointing towards another issue at present but it wouldn't hurt to be vigilant  Smiley
Mav

Will certainly keep an eye on things over the weekend.