cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone does not work

incognitas

Phone does not work

Hi I am a new customer and recently bought a phone to connect it to a line. But I cannot make/receive phone calls at all. Broadband Internet works well. I followed all instructions in order to connect the phone, also used different filters- still no luck.  Have I missed something? Thanks a lot in advance for any help
6 REPLIES 6
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Phone does not work

In what sense does it not work - do you have a dial tone? If you do, dial 17070 - is the number read out by the system matching the number you have been given?
If there is no dial tone, do you get a response when dialling your number from a mobile - either a ringing tone or an engaged tone?
If your broadband works OK on the same line, it's more likely to be an issue with the jumpering at the exchange, but your phone service provider should be able to confirm that by remote testing - if your PSTN service provider is Plusnet, have a look at http://www.plus.net/support/phone/troubleshooting.shtml.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi incognitas,
I've ran a test on your line and we're not picking up a fault. Can you follow the advice that Jaggies has provided and get back to us please?
incognitas

Hi, Many thanks for your responses.
I do not have a dial tone.
When dialing my number from mobile phone, I can hear ringing tone, but home phone does not react.
Any more suggestions what could be wrong? Thanks
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You'll need to report a fault.
picbits
Rising Star

I think that before reporting a fault, you should at least try the phone at a neighbours or friends house. It could just be a faulty phone.
I used to sell phones (back in the 80s/90s) and we did get the odd duff one.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

incognitas,
I've created Ticket: 86022080 and escalated it to you asking you to perform some checks to rule out internal wiring and your equipment being at fault. Please respond to this ticket confirming these checks have been carried out so that we can raise this to our suppliers.