cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone dead as of 1:00pm this afternoon

skuzzbag
Dabbler

Phone dead as of 1:00pm this afternoon

Just thought I'd add my voice to everyone else's!
I've logged a call with support although I imaging they are now swamped!
4 REPLIES 4
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Phone dead as of 1:00pm this afternoon

Hi skuzzbag,
I just ran a test of your line and nothing was picked up as looking like a fault, have you checked that the phone is working (if battery operated) and tried plugging it into the master socket with everything else unplugged?
Normally if no dial tone is found, we would see the fault flagged the second we ran the testing and nothing has turned up in this instance  Huh
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Skuzzbag,
Welcome to the forums.  Given the test run by Adam, is there any possibility that another phones in an extension has got knocked off hook?  No dial tone and no fault detected is unusual.  When did you notice there was no dial tone?  Could it possibly be soon after receiving an incoming call?  Sometimes in bound calls do not clear down properly leaving the calling party connected to your phone line.
Is the BB working OK?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

skuzzbag
Dabbler

Hi, I got home and took everything out of the sockets, attached a filter and the phone and checked and the line was OK. Attached the modem and once I rebooted it everything was working again.
Sorry maybe this was a false alarm!
Thanks for your help though  Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Last month I suffered a loss of dial tone for two long periods in the space on an hour one evening.  I presume that was somebody messing around in the telephone exchange.  Did you try again before you took everything out of the phone sockets?  If the dial tone was still absent but disconnecting everything cured the problem then it was definitely something in your house that caused the problem.