Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone continually engaged.

redrobbo
Dabbler

Phone continually engaged.

Good morning ,

A few days ago I went to use the house phone ( a very rare occurrence)  and noticed we have no dial tone , I then tried to call in and noticed we have a continual engaged tone. We have only 1 phone in the house , I have unplugged that and  still getting engaged tone. We had a new style master socket fitted about 4 months ago when we had a fibre upgrade. When I remove the clip on front of the master socket then  the engaged tone goes and a normal ring tone appears.

Broadband is still functioning fine. 

From what I this gather this points to a fault within the house but I am not really sure what it can be and I am aware that I am not allowed to remove or inspect master socket further .

Any ideas where i could start would be gratefully received. 

TIA 

8 REPLIES 8
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Re: Phone continually engaged.

Do you have any extension wiring attached to the removable front plate ?  By removing the front plate and testing from the test socket you are disconnecting any extension wiring.  It does sound as though you have a fault on your extension wiring.

redrobbo
Dabbler

We have had a previous extension which isn't used now , nothing has been changed since fitment  of new master a few months ago - how can I check if this is wired to the master -  is this something I am allowed to check  ?

thanks

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

There is a video in the help section that shows how to do those checks.

https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ 

redrobbo
Dabbler

thanks , I have looked at that but can't see where to go , faceplate is removed and phone plugged in and works  but not when plate fitted - so how do I check what wiring or extension wiring is wired to the master socket ?   cheers 

flanzm
Pro

Extension wiring is wired into the back of the faceplate this http://telephoneextensionsocket.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/NTE-Front-Plate.jpg 

redrobbo
Dabbler

Thanks

and touching that is a no no  , right ?

flanzm
Pro

WRONG - Extension wiring including connections to the faceplate are YOUR responsibility - you are free to disconnect and do what you want with.  It's the wiring INSIDE the master socket itself you can't mess with.  Essentially the test socket acts as the demarcation point between Openreach's domain and your own - if you called Openreach out and they find the problem is on your side of the wiring the visit is chargeable.

I would suggest disconnecting the extension wiring from the faceplate (just pull the wires out of the IDC terminals gently, writing down the colours/position first - you only need connections 2 and 5, NOT 3) and seeing if that resolves your engaged tone - i suspect it will be due to a short within your extension wiring.

redrobbo
Dabbler

Ok thanks.
By the look of it BT have mounted my master socket on the front of the old socket that was used previously , I will check on the wiring tomorrow thanks