cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call claiming to be from "BT Technical Support"

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Phone call claiming to be from "BT Technical Support"

At 20:06 this evening the phone rang and someone with an Asian accent said they were Charlotte from BT Technical Support phoning on behalf of BT, Talk-Talk, Sky and Virgin and claimed they had noticed problems with our broadband and wanted to know if there were any issues.
Before answering I asked "Charlotte" for a phone number to check she was BT, which she did not give. When asked how am I to know if she was phoning from BT she said, "Because I'm phoning from BT Technical Support", when I told her I was on the Moon she got the message and hung up.
"Charlotte" didn't refer to me by name and didn't mention Plusnet, am I wrong to think it was a fishing exercise by someone hoping to sell broadband or worse?
2 REPLIES 2
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Phone call claiming to be from "BT Technical Support"

Quote from: christmas
...am I wrong to think it was fishing exercise by someone hoping to sell broadband or worse?

I'd guess 'worse'.  Best you got rid of them.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Phone call claiming to be from "BT Technical Support"

Interesting - they usually claim to be from Microsoft or 'Windows Support' or similar.
Without a shadow of a doubt, this was an example of a ubiquitous scam that's been happening for at least a couple of years.
Had you cooperated, 'Charlotte' would have talked you into logging onto a website via which your computer would be compromised, and you'd be asked to pay for the privilege too!
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)