Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call charges.

paulby
Grafter

Re: Phone call charges.

No problem!
It's still awkward to find the cost of these calls though! 
You've first got to go to BT's horrendous price list and find out what group your call is in and then go back to PN's and correlate the group with the price.
What's needed is a simple way of finding out the group (or just list the numbers involved in the price list rather than by group?).
Mand
Grafter

Hi,
Some sort of call calculator is on our list of Home Phone improvements, so that you can check what band a call is in from the number. 
This is the best and most reliable site I've found to tell which network a mobile number is on (apart from calling it of course).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the problem with call charging is even worse, i.e.
1)you an call someone who is on PN free, but how do youknow they are on P.N.
2)Mobile numbers can belong to any net work now
I managed to find this though:
http://mnnc.net/index_old.php

this doesnt work, even though it says updated to 2008
I have an 078893---- number and so has my son, mine is still on O2, his is on orange
3) if you are on PN home phone, try http://saynoto0870.com for all oddball numbers to try and find out if there is a standard 01, 02 or 03 number (0500 are free, but 0506 arnt)
prichardson
Grafter

Something I agree with, but I have yet to find an effective way of performing this properly.
Not just is the list on the BT price list hard to work through, there is no effective means to automate grabbing the needed data, nor is there a way to manually work it, there is just so much data.
The tools provided here to define who owns a number are useless. They only tell you who the block is allocated to, and will not state drill down into individually ported numbers.
My mobile has been ported in the region of 7 times now, 3 times to Vodafone (2 of those occasions before the number became mine). It still have the allocation date from when it was originally with Vodafoneand has not updated since.
This is the correct response from these checkers unfortunatly.
paulby
Grafter

I was always under the impression (certainly when I was with BT and Telewest before that) that calls to mobiles were always charged at the rate appropriate to the network which originally owned the number.
So, for example, a number beginning 07977 xxxx which started on Orange and ported to 3 would be charged as if it were still on Orange.
prichardson
Grafter

Nope.
This is what the "call confirmation" process is about.
A ported number from Voda to 3 for example, will most likely show as a unconfirmed call on Voda rates, but will come through confirmed at 3 rates.
paulby
Grafter

Things must have changed - it certainly used to be the way I recalled.  See here.  It's still also true if you're with BT. From page 4 of their current tarrif guide:
Fixed Line to Mobile
Please note that calls to mobile phones will be charged at the
original network operator rate, regardless of whether the
number has been transferred to another network.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: P
Nope.
This is what the "call confirmation" process is about.
A ported number from Voda to 3 for example, will most likely show as a unconfirmed call on Voda rates, but will come through confirmed at 3 rates.

Phil could you please check that. It does not comply with what OFCOM say as per the links Paul has posted. The situation is different when calling mobile to mobile where you get charged depending on the network each mobile is currently on.
With regard to finding which 'charge band' any number is in, BT are the only one's AFAIK that maintain the lists which as others have said is a pain to go through. That is all OFCOM's fault, or should I say it's predecessor OFTEL Roll_eyes