Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Service - loud crackling and internet service interrupted

Lethe
Dabbler

Phone Service - loud crackling and internet service interrupted

Afternoon

I am again having problems with appalling crackling on the phone line - it is only audible from my side.  The previous engineer told me that the connection at the green box seems to suffer because of the heavy traffic that goes past.  Any attempts to use the phone also disturb my fibre internet connection.  I have tested with another phone and the problem remains (I have tried a corded device).  I have followed the troubleshooting steps on the site to no avail.  To summarise

Testing has been performed with another device - the issue remains

Usage of the phone disturbs my internet service

This is a repeat fault

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Phone Service - loud crackling and internet service interrupted

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your phone (Which is also affecting your broadband)

Although I appreciate you've said you've tested another device and the issue is the same, could you try testing in the test socket if you haven't already and let us know if the problems are still apparent.

Is the line still noisy when testing with nothing else connected to the socket?

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Lethe
Dabbler

Hi

Where would the test socket be?  I only have the dual faceplate that was fitted by the engineer when the service was installed.

thanks

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry @Lethe I meant to include this in my previous response: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

It should be the same process for pre-filtered sockets that used to be installed for fibre connections. If testing the broadband, you'll just need to use a micro-filter when connected to the test socket.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Lethe
Dabbler

I don't have a filter since the service was installed with the plate.  I'll try the phone in the master socket and see if the noise persists.

Thanks

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Lethe wrote:

I'll try the phone in the master socket and see if the noise persists.

Thanks, due to the crackling on the line, we'd need to investigate and resolve that first before investigating problems with the broadband as the noise on the line could be the only cause of problems you've mentioned with broadband.

Please let us know how you get on testing the phone in the test socket.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Lethe
Dabbler

Morning

The inside of my box appears to not be held together by anything.  I took the screw out and the little circuit board inside is separated from the front plate.  It really looks quite worse for wear.  The phone is much improved when in the master socket.

I'm borrowing a filter from someone today to put into the master socket.  I will then see if the internet stays up properly whilst the phone is plugged in.  Random side question - how do I stop the callminder service? all it does it collect messages about PPI and insulation grants. 

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Lethe wrote:

The inside of my box appears to not be held together by anything.  I took the screw out and the little circuit board inside is separated from the front plate.  It really looks quite worse for wear.  The phone is much improved when in the master socket.

When you say the phone is improved in the master socket, are you referring to the test socket behind the faceplate? Or are you generally connected to a socket other than the master socket?

Either way, I'm glad to hear there's an improvement when connected via the test/master socket, however this would unfortunately mean an engineer appointment would become chargeable if we were to send an engineer out Sad

@Lethe wrote:
Random side question - how do I stop the callminder service? all it does it collect messages about PPI and insulation grants. 

Sorry about that, it shouldn't have actually been on your line as it's not on your account. I've made sure that'll be removed shortly for you (up to 1 working day but usually much sooner)

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

If I may....

Lethe wrote: (snipped) ... inside of ... box ... not ... held together by anything.  I took the screw out ... little circuit board inside is separated from the front plate.  It really looks quite worse for wear.  

If possible, could you post a picture up? If this isn't possible, could you look on the internet for any images that are the same and post the website links up.

The reason for asking is it shouldn't look as you have described.

also, 'normal' master sockets have 2 screws, not just one.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@DS wrote:

If possible, could you post a picture up?

Good idea Thumbs_Up I meant to ask that in my previous post but it seems I forgot to.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Lethe
Dabbler

Please see picture.

When the engineer first attended to "install" the service, a new faceplate wasn't fitted - should it have been?  The fact that now I've opened this as part of troubleshooting and the whole thing has disintegrated, leaving me facing a "chargeable visit" really leaves a bad taste.  I ended up buying a filter for £5 - with this in the test/master/hidden socket the phone remains good quality and the internet no longer disconnects when it is in use. 

Lethe
Dabbler

PicFaceplate.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh! You broke it, I'm telling. Wink

Lethe
Dabbler

Cheesy

I've never really studied the box that closely before as it lurks behind the tv - the bottom and side of it looks like someone got really upset with it at some point...

My service hasn't really been great at any point since I've been here.  I think now we may have finally got to the bottom of it - the old MK2 faceplate just forcibly retired itself.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Lethe wrote: (snipped) a new faceplate wasn't fitted - should it have been?  

No, it's normal nowadays for the original phone socket to suffice.

The fact that now I've opened this as part of troubleshooting and the whole thing has disintegrated, leaving me facing a "chargeable visit" really leaves a bad taste.

It could have been broken by a heavy handed installer. Pushing the lead too hard into the connector can do this Sad

It could also have been broken in error by yourself.

It would be a Harry Hill moment - "It was fitted by the installer, but used by the home owner. Which one broke it? There's only one way to find out ..... FIGHT!!".

To save an hassle, plus you don't mention any extension wiring, you've probably done the right thing with what you're doing now.

the phone remains good quality and the internet no longer disconnects when it is in use.