cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Number ?

fox65
Grafter

Phone Number ?

I am I hope just a  week or two from moving house, do I get the same phone number that the previous house owner had ? I will be staying with PN I am moving to a new area code just was wondering if you get a new number or the present one stay's and you just take it over as well as your new house? jorg
5 REPLIES 5
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Phone Number ?

It would depend to a large extent on whether the current occupier is moving within the same exchange area, and therefore would presumably take his number with him.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
fox65
Grafter

Thank you for your reply 4c, the present occupier is moving right out the area so will not be able to keep the present number, it's a long time since I have moved house and I am also going into a new area code, jorg
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I would assume, then, that PN and OpenReach would take the 'path of least resistance' and you would take over the number.
Of course, as we know, telcos sometimes work in mysterious ways.  Roll_eyes
Tomorrow no doubt one of the Digital Care Team will be along to advise.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Mand
Grafter

Hi,
It will all depend on the state of the line when we place the order. If the line is still active we'll take it over and you'll get the current number. If it's been stopped we'll restart it but you'll get a different number (they're not reused for a set period of time).
If you'd prefer a new number it'll be a lot quicker, less hassle and cheaper if you ask the current owners to cancel with their supplier.
fox65
Grafter

Many thanks everyone, I think I would prefer a new number but it is not essential , all I want is a easy change over if possible, once I have a moving date I will be in touch with PN, jorg