Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Not Working

FIXED
mag
Grafter

Phone Not Working

Hello

My phone has stopped working. No dial tone. Plugging in a basic corded phone to the socket instead doesn't help.

Broadband still works - but slower than normal.

Could one of the forum staff check the line out for me please?

Soon would be appreciated - this is the emergency contact used in the event of a Careline pendant alarm from an elderly relative.

Many thanks (and thanks again for help the forum staff have always provided with past problems).

Dave Garrett

16 REPLIES 16
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Phone Not Working

Hi @mag,

I'm sorry you're having issues with the line. I've just tested the line and it's actually testing fine (this doesn't mean there isn't an issue, just nothing obviously detectable). I'd just like to confirm one or two things:

• I know you don't have a dial tone, but I'm going to assume you can't make or receive any calls either?
  • The socket you've tested from is this the main master socket, if not can you double check from there for me.
  • Can you also confirm the mobile number that's listed on the about me section of the Member Centre is correct, if so when we raise a fault up we can add a call divert so anyone that dials the number will get diverted to a different line (for example your mobile number) - normally there's a charge for the transferred calls, but if this happens we'll make sure they're all refunded while the fault is open so don't worry about that.

mag
Grafter

Thanks for getting back to me promptly.

To try to answer your questions:

(i) The phone does ring on incoming call - but if I pick it up I can only hear crackling. Trying to dial out isn't successful - I can only hear crackling or nothing - no ringing at the other end or reply.

(Interestingly every attempt to use or unplug the phone seems to restart the router - hence the time it's taken me to post this reply)

(i) I don't have a master socket as such (I think it's the age of the installation). I have a box on the external wall (ie outside the house) with a BT line in from underground and two phone lines out - one to a socket with the phone in it and one to a socket with the router connected. Both of these are marked with the old Telecom T. I can send photos if it helps. I'll also take the faceplates off and look to see if they are the same internally - but that will have to wait till I post this because unplugging the phone likely kill the router temporarily.

(iii) My mobile number given in the Account Details section, ending 40 is correct.

Dave Garrett

mag
Grafter

Attached is a photo of the external box.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that @mag.

I've just created and updated a ticket on the account so we can look to get an engineer booked out for you. Can you update it and let me know once you have and I'll get it all arranged. 

mag
Grafter

This is the internal socket the phone is plugged into

mag
Grafter

Thanks - I've updated the ticket as requested.

I'll stop sending the photos unless you request them - but from taking the faceplates off the socket with the phone plugged in has internal circuitry that the other one lacks - in case that's any help.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fix

Thanks for that @mag. That's all booked and confirmed and the ticket has been updated. 

The call divert should be active in about 15 minutes. Any issues with that please let us know. 

mag
Grafter

Thanks JOLO. The divert works.

Dave

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great @mag. I guess we just need to wait for the outcome of the visit for a full resolution to the problem. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

WARNING: Based on comments made elsewhere, you will be charged mobile phone rates for calls diverted from your phone line ... unless you have a call plan which includes mobile calls.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mag
Grafter

Thanks for the advice.

I do have the Unlimited UK & Mobile Call Plan

mag
Grafter

The engineer has been and the phone is now working.

The fault was in the tatty old box on the outside wall of the house that I posted a picture of. (Still, I suppose if it takes another 30 years to fail again it'll see me out).

Broadband is still slow but the engineer thought it would probably have been automatically capped at the exchange because of the line fault, and should slowly recover - I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again.

Dave

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good to hear @mag. I've confirmed the fault as resolved and the automatic divert should now all get removed for you very shortly. It also looks like the speed profile has increased this morning exchange side so I've just manually updated the profile on our systems. You should see this increase shortly too. 

mag
Grafter

Thanks JOLO. 

The engineer removed the divert to test the line.

Upload speed has improved (usually pretty much back to where it started), but download speed is still at around 23 Mbps (which it has been throughout the line fault), whereas it was about 36Mbps previously. Minimum guaranteed access speed is 34Mbps.