Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Line down (again) and Broadband as low as .50

FIXED
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Phone Line down (again) and Broadband as low as .50

Is there an issue with my Phone again please.

It seems every now and again I end up being cut off totally which is of course annoying if people are trying to ring me

Broadband speed has been really low over the past 48 hours and the highest I have seen has been 3.5 but periodically it comes in as low as .50

Consequently TV cant be watched and just when I have been tryng to watch Cricket SA V Eng

Perhaps my Green Box is the cause again

Regards Bamboozled

18 REPLIES 18
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Re: Phone Line down (again) and Broadband as low as .50

As a further update to the above I tried testing my line on main Site and it has a problem and so it raised a Ticket and promised "repair" in 1 to 3 days

The problem is my Green Box again (I suspect) as there looked to be someone working in it yesterday or friday and that coincides with my problems again

I say "looked to be someone" there because often the door is open (ajar) and could be messed with. Since the last upgrade there was a flimsy plastic rain cover over the Box and worst of all the Box is held together by a long length of Blue rope tied around it and through the Park railings and so an easy target for the local yobs - very professional !

I am  now getting sick of the perpetual problems and not least today missing the Test Match on NOW TV (£33.99 a month)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @Bamboozled I’m sorry for the problems you’re experiencing with your line. 

In the meantime while you’re waiting for a fix if there’s potential for damage to the Openreach infrastructure, I’d recommend calling their damage reporting team on 0800 023 2023 so that the appropriate engineer can review this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi Gandalf

I can see why you would think it public spirited to inform Openreach BUT in truth they did this themselves so will be fully aware

When I had my last problem with my Phone / Broadband I was without a Landline for 8 days +. My broadband barely work and this was all due to a known problem which Openreach knew they needed to fix

I am unsure if they fitted a second box but in October 2019 they completed the work - and I got my phone back and Broadband as promised and I thought (wrongly) that my problems had been solved for good

For their part Openreach threw a sheet over the oldest box - little more that a tatty bit of plastic which looked as if it came from a Pallet of spare parts. It was thrown over I think because the doors didnt seem to close and maybe they were trying to keep rain / wet out. Obviously it got more and more tatty and ripped

Secondly they tied the rope round the box an the Park railings to keep the doors closed as well as possible and keep people out ?

Every week maybe twice someimes since mid October (lets call it 10 weeks) they have visited-  so 10 visits ish and they KNOW its there and have done nothing about it.

My call would be no surprise to them and indeed if I call they might just mend the doors and take the rope away rather than getting my Landline fixed and my Broadband back so I can watch the Telly I am paying for but cant watch,

So imo they can whistle - they know its there

Regards JT

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Bamboozled

I understand what you've said however if you've not reported this to the damage reporting team at Openreach yet I'd highly recommend you do, so that they can put steps in place to put things right.

If you have any concerns about the work an engineer has carried out, I'd also recommend you let them know Here.

With regards to the fault you're experiencing with your line while an engineer who goes out on the back of the above may or may not be able to see to that, my understanding is you've reported a fault online this afternoon, so this should be allocated to an engineer shortly to investigate the fault with your line regardless of the above.

Thanks in advance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

As an update

Broadband speed still 66% lower than I usually get and

Land line still not working (this may be Day 4)

Nobody at the Box yesterday whenever I passed at 3 or 4 different times - so I await a repair still please

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @Bamboozled 

I can see the estimated response time we've received from our suppliers is for an engineer to go out anytime by the close of play tomorrow to investigate this for you, which is in line with the 1 to 3 working day time frame we advised.

We'll chase this up on Thursday if the fault's still outstanding by then.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the update. Openreach are reporting that they are "en route" they tell me

There was a lot of groundwork around the box yesterday so perhaps that is the root cause of the outage

Hopefully the Box will be thrown away which will solve my problem for good - although I dont know whether my connection is within the new or old box.

Regards NJPT

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Bamboozled 

We've received engineer notes to advise they've fixed a problem on the line, which looks to have restored your phone service. I've tested your broadband and the tests are showing a high resistance fault.

To investigate this further we'd need to arrange an engineer visit but before we do this I'd like to check that your router is plugged into the master socket and if possible could you plug it into the test socket explained Here?

This should rule out any internal wiring and I'll then retest your line before we arrange a visit.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi Gandalf

Many thanks - have replied via open Question as it was a long response lol

Regards JT

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Bamboozled thanks for the reply, I'm having a read through now!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks @Bamboozled Is that in your loft or downstairs? If possible could you also connect your router into the test socket behind the faceplate? Apologies for the hassle. I'll then retest your line when I'm in the office this afternoon.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi

You probably have'nt seen but I posted a reply on "My account" explaining what everything but was unable to post the Photo itself for some reason - so I managed to post the Photo on here straight after - so you had  a split message

Anyway the Photo is the "master socket" in my Living Room

I have taken off the face plate but all that will fit in the slot to the right hand side is the Telephone Jack Plug so I have put that in but unsure if that will help - but put it in as I have to go out (back about 2.30)

The Router has a much squarer Plug

Also the original Master Socket (in the Loft) only has a Telephone Jack Socket on the front and once the Plate comes off it too has a Telephone style hole on the right hand side.

Hope this helps JT

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi JT

Ahhh cool. Yeah I hadn't seen the ticket until just now, I've added a reply onto the ticket sending you an email and text out. What I'd like to do now is retest your line with all your equipment disconnected from the master socket including the faceplate. There's no rush for this, let me know when you're back home and I'll retest your line. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet