Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Line Down

FIXED
Pressman
Dabbler

Phone Line Down

I reported a fault yesterday as the heading describes and subsequently received an email saying :-

Fault Type: No dial tone.
Test Results: Test Result: Fail - Fault located between DP and customer apparatus (no appointment required)
Description: FAULT - Dis In Network

What does this fault even mean? I have now received an email saying that this is on hold until April 4th. I find this totally unacceptable, nobody should have to wait this amount of time for errors/faults to be addressed. Is there anything to be done to speed things up, or someone to complain to about the time required to address the fault. Not happy.

22 REPLIES 22
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Phone Line Down

Repairs are not undertaken by Plusnet but other parts of the BT empire over which Plusnet has no control and very little influence. Repair time is dependant on the local availability of repair technicians with the specific skills required to address your problem. Unfortunately if the fault requires, for example underground work, you may be off for longer than a week.

Hopefully you have a simple fault. Good luck!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Pressman wrote:

Fault Type: No dial tone.
Test Results: Test Result: Fail - Fault located between DP and customer apparatus (no appointment required)
Description: FAULT - Dis In Network

What does this fault even mean? 

Welcome to the forum.  Smiley

It means that one or both of the copper wires between the DP (distribution point) and your premises is disconnected.

If you have an overhead feed, the DP will be a terminal block on a pole.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Pressman
Dabbler

Seasoned Pro,

Thanks for your reply, we do not have a "pole" so I guess it's in a cabinet?

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

It'll be closer to you than it is to the cabinet, most likely in a footway box.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Pressman
Dabbler

Strange, I would have thought that if one or both wires are disconnected or broken then I don't understand why I still have internet connection albeit 0.5mbps instead of my usual 6-7?

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Broadband can limp along with just one of the pair connected, although the phone itself will be dead.

It's happened to me twice, and to a friend once. By Openreach's standards it didn't take long to fix, although it does of course depend on engineer availability, fault location, weather, moon phase... Roll_eyes 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Pressman,

Thank you for getting in touch.

I'm sorry that you are unhappy with the estimated response time. This is set by our suppliers and is always two working days for landline faults. I appreciate that it's unfortunate timing as the fault has occurred just before the bank holiday weekend.

The estimated response time is not something that we can change I'm afraid. However, please bear in mind that this is the maximum lead time for a response and if our suppliers are able to resolve this sooner for you they will. It is not uncommon to see a fault looked at on the same day that it was raised.

Our faults team will be back in touch once we have received an update on this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Pressman
Dabbler

This issue has now taken a "turn for the worse". I am now being told that this issue will not be dealt with until April 25th? It appears that the "road / line has to be dug up to enable a repair. These time scales are ridiculous. I hope that I will be getting a reimbursement of my monthly bill which, I am sure, will be "taken in quick time" on the April 11th. Not happy at all.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear about the delay in getting your fault fixed.

Unfortunately the timescale would be due to our suppliers having to dig up your road and engineer/contractor availability. Traffic management might also be needed by your council before the work begins.

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused. Once the fault is resolved we'll be happy to provide a refund of your  subscription charges for the affected services for the period of time your service has been in fault and reported to us.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Pressman
Dabbler

First off, I responded to a reply from one of the "CSC Analysts" with the following: -

Your Response
12:02pm, Friday 13 Apr 2018

The Question 171406980 has been released from hold and sent back to BOT - Phone Faults - Logged

Mr Patel,

Firstly, would you please explain the meaning of "Advise CP that eContract Dig Est no RBD 25/4/18 Excavation due to be open on 25/4/18 for BT to revisit." This issue has been on and off hold more than once, what is the "hold up". It appears that both myself and Plusnet are paying for a service that is not "forth coming" why can it not be "escallated"?

I have not had a reply to the above? Never the less, approximately, as of 13:00 hrs Sunday 15th Openreach have managed to re-connect the phone line, without digging up the road, and I have an internet connection, but very slow, around 0.5Mbps. Can this "slow speed" now be addressed, please see the attached file.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear the phone is now working.

I've put through a reset on your line which should increase the speed in the next 4 hours.

Let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Pressman
Dabbler

Matthew,

There has been no change in connection speed, please see attached file.

Would you, or someone, please resolve this issue, it is very frustrating when one issue is resolved i.e. the re-connection of the phone line, to now having another issue with internet connection speed.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Your line is still showing to be banded despite Matt's efforts to reset your line.

When there's a problem on the line, the exchange alters a setting known as the signal to noise ratio. This alteration helps to keep the connection stable despite the fault, but has a negative impact on the connection speed.

Eventually, the line can become chronically banded, which basically caps your speed at somewhere between 288kbps to 576kbps. As the fault has been fixed, we're trying to manually remove the cap.

I've put the reset through again.

Can you re-test your speed in 10 minutes please?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Pressman
Dabbler

Gandalf,

Apologies for the late reply. The speed has returned near to where it was before all of the issues. What ever has been done it seems to have worked, please see attached file. I shall "keep an eye" on the speed over the next few days. Thank you for your help and the "fix". All I need to do now is to ask for a reimbursement for the 3 weeks of no phone and internet.

If you know how, and who should be contacted to discuss / agree a suitable reimbursement I would appreciate it to know?