Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Fault, Line Check please

FIXED
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Phone Fault, Line Check please

My Phone is cutting out intermittently, often after a minute or two, sometimes it remains connected for calls lasting 15 minutes or more. I use a DECT type of phone system, BT badged equipment, possibly 10-12 years old. I have rung your support number today (ideal maybe because it picks up and then plays music/announcements seemingly "forever").

Have dialed your number using my DECT phones 3 times, 2 cut outs after 1:48mins and 3.7mins. 2 remained holding for over 5 mins. Connected a wired phone, and that held for nearly 10 minutes. I suspect the DECT phone system, but can you check my phone line remotely please? If there is fault then buying new phones won't solve it.

We have new neighbours next door and they are getting phone and broadband installed, this may be related, we share the same pole and 3 times in the last5 years or so we were getting crossed lines with our previous neighbour. The condition of BT's wiring in the road is poor, many lines are unusable and the engineers struggled to find one that had decent test results. Just two properties this far from beyond isn't a priority to spend on new cables is it.

I did a quiet line test an hour ago and it was silent, I've just done another and its noisy.

Please can you test my line.

4 REPLIES 4
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Phone Fault, Line Check please

Click on faults link to do self test; if fault found (assuming system behaving), it'll
automatically report fault to Openreach.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your reply Gel. Most suggested tests refer to broadband and that seems unaffected. Cutting out landline calls is the problem and I suspect our DECT base station is the culprit. To this end we have used an old style hard-wired handset to make some long duration calls without the problem showing up. That rather confirms suspicions that its the BT badged DECT system at fault.

However, since we operate a 5 phone system I'd like to know that the fault isn't external before replacing the lot.

Can PlusNet run a line test please?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi there,

Testing your line isn't picking up on any problems. If using a wired handset works fine with no crackling or noise, it would appear that the issue lies with your DECT phones.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for checking Gandalf. Currently the problem appears to have gone away, which suggests that something has changed or returned to a previous condition as in my experience problems don't just go away.

For now we'll soldier on with the current DECT arrangement and see what transpires, we have the old wired handset connected too. If it fails again, getting a replacement DECT system is only a couple of days, but if these keep going, all the better!