cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing calls

mash
Dabbler

Phishing calls

I'm getting rather annoying phishing calls from what I assume is India, doing the usual I'm from Microsoft line - go to your computer to install our lovely ransomeware. I string them along for a bit and then rip out there black souls but it's about as effective as shouting into the void. Is there any real way to report it? of course the number is blocked for me but can't plusnet see what the last call was and block them from calling anyone? probably pointless as it's rather likely they use different numbers..
14 REPLIES 14
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Phishing calls

Have a look at a BT8500 call blocking phone.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobile-phones/bt-bt8500-review-the-best-call-blocker-yet

I've use one and it stopped almost all these nuisance calls. I had it configured so any international calls or calls not displaying a caller ID would be intercepted. The caller would be asked to state their name and then dial 1, if they did this the phone would then ring and announce the name they gave giving you the choice to accept or decline the call. In practice, I found most nuisance callers just hung up. Smiley

There's lots more configurable options such as blocking individual numbers or area codes etc, but the above is what I found most affective.

Note: You do need to have caller ID enabled on your line for this to work.

chuffchuff
Rising Star

"Annoymous call reject" costs extra but blocks anyone witholding their number.

"Choose to refuse" blocks companies who show their numbers.

Both very effective but you pay extra for the services.

pnPhorum
Grafter

It is MOST annoying when it happens to 'de-listed' number like mine ... and it is about 5-6 times happening more often since I migrated with Plusnet and in particular in the last month.

Might it be the electoral list? They should NOT have people phone numbers, therefore I believe BT is giving them our phone numbers without permission and without checking if numbers are EX-directory, dDE-listed or listed in TPS website?

We should NOT pay for this service if service provider did their work and TPS too and The Law that should forbid cold-callers call unlisted numbers.
Nothing works the customer way, but everything seems to work when you migrate to get your money, then you are left there!

PS
BT purchased PlusNet  3-4 years ago - just in case someone did not know!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Unfortunately TPS can't stop all cold calls, especially if the firm is based overseas as they would avoid the UK rules by being based overseas.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/tackling-nuisance-calls-and-messages/live-marketing-calls/

I'm receiving live telesales calls from overseas

Unfortunately, some firms base themselves overseas to avoid UK rules and do not make use of the TPS register. If you are receiving unsolicited live telesales calls which you believe to be from overseas firms you should still contact the ICO as they may be able to help you.

It's worth having a read over the link included above and reporting/complaining to the ICO (Information Commissioner's Office) regarding cold callers.

Just in regards to (Although off topic):

@pnPhorum wrote:

PS
BT purchased PlusNet  3-4 years ago - just in case someone did not know!

It was slightly longer ago than 3-4 years. Plusnet were acquired by BT in 2007 Wink

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
pnPhorum
Grafter

Thanks for your reply.

Wow 2007 - time flies!

JohnofYork
Grafter

I think it is about time that Ofcom OBLIGED phone companies to provide Anonymous Call Blocking as part of any package.

not as a chargeable extra.

although I expect that the same cost would then be loaded on to the line rental anyway.

John

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Although I appreciate where you're coming from with that idea, it still wouldn't block all of these Phishing calls. Withheld international numbers tend to still slip through the net.

The same goes for Choose to Refuse. Although you can select numbers to block with this feature, international numbers may still slip through the net Undecided

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

herojan
Grafter

I purchased a call blocker that sits between my phone and the socket, can be set to block international, withheld and specific numbers, with a big red button you press if you answer a call than is one you dont want and it adds the number to its block list,.

I think BT is introducing a  new blocking system later this year.

pnPhorum
Grafter

Right, so we are 'forced' to purchase a caller ID blocker [probably worth £. 2 at source!] and pay monthly for a service that by dialling 1471 gives you the caller ID for free!

That clearly proves they take money from us, unnecessarily !

I am no tight person at all, but a reasonable one that does not like to pay for something that is actually 'created' by the establishment and should be free !

Why do you think websites are now 'trying' to get your mobile number, 'with the excuse' to have a proof you are you in case you loose/forget your PW etc. - Are we all sleeping?

With Mobiles is even worse the invasion of privacy as mobile are 'personal' they 99% of the time reach one person - the owner of that phone and identifies you!

Come on, let's wake up a bit.

;p]

PS want to know one more? Exif data - the data inherent an image.
You take an image and post it online [flicker is one] and anybody can read its Exif data, unless you use special programs to strip that out!

I could go on for a week and I added this to show you how much invasion of privacy is going on!
Nothing to hide, but I have the RIGHT to keep privacy mine!

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I received a letter from BT that contained the following

@bt wrote:

We'll protect you from nuisance calls: Our free call filtering system, BT Nuisance Call Protect, will automatically divert some types of nuisance calls and let you choose other types to divert too. find out more at bt.com/nuisancecalls

mash
Dabbler

Thank you, I have signed up
JohnofYork
Grafter

So is Plusnet going to offer this service too?

I believe that it should.

John.

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

>>> So is Plusnet going to offer this service too? <<<

Probably not, maybe that's me just being pessimistic...

Like others on the forum I seem to be getting more and more nuisance calls recently.  Now I moved over from BT to Plusnet a few months ago.  Not suggesting there's a connection but I can't help but wonder....

I signed up with TPS years ago and I'm still getting these nuisance calls, a number of them being UK based numbers which TPS 'should' stop....  A typical one is 07837555555 who wants to tell me all about a Government boiler scrappage scheme...  I've reported this one 3 times - and the calls keep on coming...

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a BT 8500 call blocking cordless but if I knew Plusnet were going to follow in BT'sin  shoes and provide the call blocking service free of charge I'd hang on...