cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistent Dialtone

donne
Grafter

Persistent Dialtone

I notice that very often when I start to dial the dial tone does not stop.  If it happened on just one phone I would have suspected the handset but it appears to be on all extensions including the one plugged in to the master socket.  This appears to have happened since my line was upgraded to fibre in December 2015.  Could there be a fault with the exchange equipment?
6 REPLIES 6
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Persistent Dialtone

You've got voicemail on your line which is the cause of this.
If you dial 1571 and listen to the message it'll go back to normal.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
donne
Grafter

Well I did try that (although there was no message waiting for me on voicemail) but there still seems to be a reluctance to get a line when I start dialling.  Sometimes  the only way I can get a line is to jiggle the offhook button on the handset.  By the way, I've still got microfilters in place on the extensions after the Openreach upgrade of the mastersocket - is that correct?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. The 1571 voicemail service usually causes the dial tone to sound like a siren. Is that what you're experiencing or is it just a continuous dial tone?
If it's the latter, then there may be a genuine fault. I'd recommend running a line test by clicking on the following link (you'll need to be logged into the Member Centre first):
https://portal.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/
If there's no fault found you could try plugging your handset into your test socket (found behind the master phone socket).
If the fault still persists, you could then try to rule out voicemail being the issue by turning it off using this link:
https://portal.plus.net/plustalk/index.php?page=wlr_remove_call_features
(Call feature orders take 1 working day (excluding weekends))
Failing this, we would need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
donne
Grafter

Hi, I am familiar with the interrupted dial tone I get when there is voicemail waiting for collection.  This isn't the issue.  The problem is that the dial tone persists even when I start pressing the keys to dial a number.  I have followed your link to the line test which reports no problem on the line.  I've also had a look at your troubleshooting video, but I'm not sure how to proceed since my master socket is an Openreach MK3 filtered socket, not featured in the video, which was fitted in December when I upgraded to FTTC.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You should have two screws either side of where your phone plugs into the Mk3 socket, undo these and pull the plate off and it will reveal the socket you are after.
I too still have a filter on my extension after OR upgraded my master socket last year, I guess in theory its not needed, but does no harm, just don't put one on the master socket..
donne
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, Mustrum.  I've decided to remove the microfilters from the two extensions in the house and that seems to have improved matters though occasionally I still get problems with the exchange equipment failing to recognise that I am dialling.