cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanent Call barring on Plusnet

James
Grafter

Re: Permanent Call barring on Plusnet

We can bar outgoing calls, that's not really an issue.
I thought the issue here was that reverse charged calls could still be made? I'm sure that would be an issue on any Openreach provided WLR service.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As a matter of interest, this is what A&A say about their offering:
Restrictions
The line itself is installed by Openreach just like a BT line, on our behalf. You cannot normally make any chargable calls, but can call emergency services and freephone numbers from it as well as accepting calls. If we allow you to make chargeable calls, or there are reverse charge calls, or any other charges, we will charge you what OpenReach charge us, plus 20%. Outgoing calls are only enabled for established customers and at our discretion. We supply the line primarily for use with the broadband service and do not provide lines without our broadband service associated with them.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Suggestion: Could you not have the line with the call barring and include something in the tenancy agreement that says that the phone must not be used and that any costs incurred will be charged plus a admin fee. Also have something in the agreement that says the deposit will not be returned until the next bill has been received from Plusnet to allow you to determine whether there are any outstanding phone charges at the end of the tenancy.
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I wouldn't rely on tenants paying a retrospective phone bill.  And calls to overseas if they happen to be foreign students can mount up beyond all recognition very rapidly!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I wasn't suggest getting them to pay it retrospectively - I'm suggesting deducting it from the deposit before it's returned. Even if the call barring got removed by accident the credit limit should stop it going over the deposit value.
Petard
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
You cannot normally make any chargable calls, but can call emergency services and freephone numbers from it as well as accepting calls.

Interesting. I wonder if they allow calls via an override provider, too (with whom the tenants could set up their own account).
netgran
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
Restrictions
The line itself is installed by Openreach just like a BT line, on our behalf. You cannot normally make any chargable calls, but can call emergency services and freephone numbers from it as well as accepting calls. If we allow you to make chargeable calls, or there are reverse charge calls, or any other charges, we will charge you what OpenReach charge us, plus 20%. Outgoing calls are only enabled for established customers and at our discretion. We supply the line primarily for use with the broadband service and do not provide lines without our broadband service associated with them.

Interesting spot which I had overlooked! That puts A&A out of scope then.
So it may indeed be Openreach that forces the risk of billable reverse charges happening - we can thank OFTEL for this.
An incoming call block (or diversion) that cannot be defeated without a PIN would be acceptable as it will obviously block reverse charge calls, only I am not sure if Openreach currently makes this possible.
If it cannot be done then we've fallen at the last hurdle on this technicality and I'm giving up.
I may supply the tenant with a 3g MiFi to tide them over till their line is installed on their own contract but they won't be able to do much video streaming with this!
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Apart from my locked cabinet idea, with the cable passing through it to the modem which is outside the cabinet.  That way they can't plug anything like a telephone in, so no calls made or accepted.  Basically just lock in your phone socket.  If you don't already have it in a cabinet and don't want to have the socket moved, you can actually buy small enclosures that can only be opened by a combination lock.  My neighbor has one to keep a spare set of keys outside his front door.
netgran
Dabbler

I know its been suggested a few times. A bit Heath Robinson.
So it seems that ADSL is at a permanent disadvantage compared to pure cable Internet, as it has to tow legacy phone functionality along!
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Pure cable has always been at an advantage technically, even against FTTC because typically the cable actually comes closer to your premises.
Petard
Rising Star

Quote from: IngeJones
Apart from my locked cabinet idea [...]

I wish I'd thought of that.
netgran
Dabbler

Had there been a pre-packaged solution for landlord a la Virgin Cable broadband only offering, I'd have ordered it already.
As it is every thing's a compromise and has made me realise that if I offer no broadband to the new tenant, at least there's be able to chose their 'favourite' brand and bundle of TV, phone and broadband.
Anyway, the ingenious workarounds given in this thread go to prove that the need for a no-calls broadband service is quite common.
Now its time for the ISPs that we pay money to to come up with a product offering that matches this need.
netgran
Dabbler

Just noticed that Openreach has incoming call barring on it's wholesale price list for a one-off admin fee of £3.50
And a monthly fee option to block outgoing "by Admin control" - it shows how much mark up their is when this feature is retailed.
@Ben maybe you could investigate if those features cover all eventualities, e.g. that the incoming calls bar cannot be defeated via a code.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@netgran
The problem isn't the lack of a useful feature it's the fact that our billing system is set up to remove call barring under certain circumstances.