cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSTN switch off - can we have a PN update?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: PSTN switch off - can we have a PN update?

I assume that it will not be mandatory to use BT Digital Voice?

I dont see how it can be. Currently both FTTP and SOGEA are available without a phone service, so unless BT ban all VOIP providers on their network, which isnt possible, then third party voip must be an option.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cliff_g
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Still learning how this might all work.  Does the new service require FTTP or is FTTC ok?

And any good websites for that sort of info?  Thx.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Cliff_g 

All that an ATA needs is a LAN port on your router or network.

It matters not if the connection to your router comes from a digital connection or via a broadband modem..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Cliff_g wrote:

Still learning how this might all work.  Does the new service require FTTP or is FTTC ok?

And any good websites for that sort of info?  Thx.

Can't remember what it's called but OpenReach has a digital product for copper lines which gives 0.5mbps speeds which is purely for VOIP lines. Apparently the speed is considered good enough (by OpenReach!!!) to give a decent phone connection.

Brian

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Hello Cliff_g, Like you I can forsee big problems with the VOiP system.  A family member has recently been transfered to the Sky system - since then phone converstions often drop out for 5 seconds or so or drop completely and have to be redialed. That happened to us twice last night, not great if you are making and emergency phone call or have just got through to a call centre. Sky admit that there is a problem with dropped calls.

Where I live our moble signal is often non existant so not a good alternative if a power cut occurs and an emergency phone call needs to be made.

I think it is  about 1.5 million people in the UK who have no access to the Internet.

I guess the current handsets will need some sort of connector to receive VOiP calls - great scope for scams there!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@cyrilclark1 

If you have a landline phone then you have 'access to the Internet'.

I fully expect that if you want a converter to interface an analogue phone to a digital service then the phone company will supply the necessary adapter, see here for details of the BT Digital voice adapter. You need to scroll down to the appropriate section and download the guide.  https://www.bt.com/help/landline/digital-voice--how-do-i-set-up-my-service-

Set up your Digital Voice Adapter 

pdf logo  BT Digital Voice Adapter - user guide

I suspect that when push comes to shove and there is no mobile phone reception the phone companies will hand out a free UPS that will support the phone service for a short period.

This is going to happen despite howls on protest. The present arrangement, which needs two parallel networks, one digital from either a street cabinet or a means of providing the same service bodged over the years into a local exchange probably built in the late 19th/early 20th century, which needs constant maintenance is wasteful and inefficient. That's without considering all the money that BT shareholders (not withstanding the suit's bonuses) can pocket from flogging off redundant exchanges.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Baldrick1 useful info on the BT DVA.

What a stupid idea of BT's to connect it via Wifi though!. I would never recommend connecting a voip device via wifi.

since then phone converstions often drop out for 5 seconds or so or drop completely and have to be redialed

I'm not surprised if Sky connect a voip device via wifi like BT.

I've used voip both at home and in the office for the last 3 years without any problems but any voip devices are wired to the  router. Wifi is just too susceptible to interference and latency to perform reliably for a voip connection

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I have been using VOIP for pretty much all outgoing calls for several years, my (Fritz!Box) router acts as DECT basestation and VOIP interface, my incoming calls currently come via PSTN (the router also has analogue telephone connection).  I currently use FreeVoipDeal for outgoing calls which costs me well under £10 per year in call charges - I don't pay for any landline call package, I don't think FreeVoipDeal or any similar provider offers any incoming calls facility, any idea whether I will be able to keep my existing setup for outgoing calls but still recieve incoming callls via whatever Plusnet will be using (preferably without having to change my router)?

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

As far as i see it there are a few issues bubbling away under the surface.

At the moment if you are using a voice service over PTSN then it will be driven by line power, which in turn is backed up with UPS/generators at the exchange, my local exchange for example has the genetor at the back, with the exhaust on the flat roof.

However a lot of people se cordless phones that require power, having said that i still have a corded phone plugged in which works during a powercut, and as its tethered doesnt stray too far, and never goes flat

powercuts tend to fall into two catergroies:

Those that are short and localised, and those that last longer and are usually more wide spread.

with the big powercuts the mobile phone signal also dissapears after a while as the base stations/masts need the same power as everyone else, if tis not there then no phone signal.

This leaves nothing but the landline alive, and in turn nothing but the corded phone active for emergency use .

So if extreme weather events are to become more common, the  in turn the risk of long powercuts are more likely plus a loss of mobile signal, and in turn if we are all on Voip services such as "digital voice" then there is a real possibilty that people wil be completly cut off fom contacting the emergency services - or anyone else in an emergency.

The "old" PTSN servvice was built and designed at a time when robustness and redunancy /back ups were seen as required , it was strengthened during the cold war - as it was also the system that delivered the 4 minute warning (aka speaking clock) activate warning sirens and a few other bits n bobs .

So whats the solution?Huh

Realisticly you would be looking at a back up system that can power an ONT and  router/ATA as well as the phone for at least 48 hours - or longer and maybe have swapable batterys , so in the event of a long power cut  vulnerable people can have ther phone atterys swapped out.

Either that or increase robustness at mobile phone mast sites with UPS systems/ back up generators and in turn the systems that support the masts.

My understanding of the moile phone system is that when you call 999 then the phone will connect to whatever mast it can irrespective of whos network it is on so this may be a viable workaround

knowdice
Rising Star

A statement from Plusnet as to what their direction of travel with this issue will be would be helpful.

Are they going to continue to supply a phone service fullstop?

Are Plusnet going to supply a SIP service?

Or will we need to port our current PSTN number to a third party SIP service?

I hope they are not thinking about going to some proprietary system 🤔

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

In an ideal world - if PTSN is switched off, you would have an ONT, and two ports - one for ethernet to go to a router and one for an Analogue telephone adapter - or just a standard phone socket ( integrated ATA)  with this being powered by the line current that currently powers corded phones .

Your internet service is provided by your Internet service provider, and your phone service by your Telephone service provider

This would mean that during a power failiure the ONT and integrated ATA would still function

What will probably happen is that for a phone service you will be forced to use your ISPs router - as they will hold onto the ATA settings , as with BT digital voice and maker you use the standard issue router.

My guess is that Plusnet ( as with many other ISPS if plusnet still exists  will enable digital voice , or call it something similar but this will only be via a digital voice port on a future router , meaning that - as with BT you can not use your own ATA .

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@pint I think you have made an incorrect statement there - the ONT is powered from your mains supply, and the fibre connections are all passive, i.e. they are not connected to an electrical source.

John
knowdice
Rising Star

Don't ONTs have an option of battery backup?

Emergency power is one issue that will need to be sorted out for some people or most people if the mobile network is also down.

I would just like to know where Plusnet are going with this issue, are they going to stay in the voice phone business or just say that it's someone else's problem?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@knowdice As I understand it, the original ONTs had a battery backup, the current ones don't. I agree that this has not been properly addressed by OFCOM - and some ISPs have also voiced concerns during the industry consultations, but have been silenced - for some reason.

I would doubt you will get an answer to your question, the whole situation is still very fluid and from my reading, even the industry as a whole doesn't really know what is going to happen, so, until BT (as Plusnets owners) decide how they are going to proceed, you won't know.

John