Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSTN Switch Off and Contract Renewal

FIXED
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PSTN Switch Off and Contract Renewal

@Schiehallion  more thoughts to add to your deliberations.

Continuing with ADSL for another 18 months is only delaying the inevitable need to upgrade to FTTP.

Once the analogue phone switch off happens at the end of 2025,  the next Openreach target is to decommission all the telephone exchanges starting from 2028 (taking about five years).  Given that all ADSL lines terminate at a telephone exchange,  you can see that the mass removal of copper cables to homes, and forced conversion to FTTP, is going to be the next big push from 2026 to maybe 2030.  Therefore your father might as well sort out moving from ADSL to FTTP and VoIP sooner rather than later.

@Schiehallion wrote:

I have looked at various options:

• Move both phone and broadband to BT. Cost £46.99 a month (including anytime unlimited minutes call plan). Seems quite expensive.
  • Move both services to Zen. Cost £41 a month (including 1000 minutes call plan). However 1000 minutes a month equates to 33 mins a day, this might not be enough, and calls outside the call plan are quite expensive.
  • Keep broadband with Plusnet and move phone service to Andrews & Arnold. No call plan, but calls are cheap plus A&A offer free calls to other A&A numbers. If I moved my phone to A&A too, this would help a lot with the costs.

Have you considered moving both phone and broadband to A&A ?

A&A 115/20 FTTP is £37/month  + A&A VoIP at £1.44/month + VoIP calls (600 minutes at 1.5p/min = £9)

Having done that myself, A&A are very careful to ensure no hiccups when transferring services, and have been excellent !

And finally ...

@Schiehallion wrote:

He is currently on ADSL broadband (20 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload).

Is that 20/1 Mb/s the actual speed of his ADSL, or the advertised product speeds ?

I've had VoIP since 2013,  several years were on ADSL2+ without much issue.

In my experience, I wouldn't want to be running VoIP on a line with an actual upload speed less than about 720Kb/s, as it is very easy these days for web downloads/streaming etc to overwhelm an ADSL connection, causing unreliable VoIP calls UNLESS you are using a third party router with QoS to prioritise VoIP traffic.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bmc wrote:

... there is an OpenReach digital product for ADSL only (SOTAP I think)

My understanding is that ADSL without a phone service is "SOADSL"

"SOTAP" refers to ANY transitional technology/product which temporarily facilitates migration of legacy analogue/copper services to digital/FTTP, and is likely to be withdrawn before 2030 when all copper services are expected to be removed and telephone exchanges decommissioned.

An example of a "SOTAP" technology is "SOTAP for Analogue" (an emulated analogue phone line provided using ADSL)

To add to the confusion, "SOADSL" might be considered to be a "SOTAP", and the terms used interchangeably !

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Anonymous wrote:

Continuing with ADSL for another 18 months is only delaying the inevitable need to upgrade to FTTP.

Very true. This gives another 18 months of the phone working during a power cut and hopefully time for the planned introduction of an easier means of porting a landline phone mumber to a VoIP provider.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Baldrick1 wrote:

This gives another 18 months of the phone working during a power cut

I live out in the middle of nowhere, with almost no mobile signal, and endure maybe twenty power cuts every year.

I've had VoIP for eleven years, and have NEVER been unable to use the phone during several hour power cuts.

My five DECT wireless phone handsets will last 2 to 3 days without mains power, and the VoIP DECT base station is powered from the same UPS that keeps my broadband router and modem running, allowing me to use both phone and broadband for around six hours - which is more than enough time for most power outages.

The delaying moving to VoIP because of power cuts excuse is just a cop-out, because if you don't have a UPS already for your broadband router then clearly you don't care that you don't have internet access during a hypothetical emergency (to lookup first aid, or  UK Power Networks to report and track your power outage).  Given that within (probably) the next four years, that the majority of people will have their copper phone lines removed and replaced by fibre-optic cable (which can't supply power for a handset) and that most people will have to migrate their landline phones to VoIP within the next 12 to 18 months, there is no way that a different long-term solution is going to appear that provides a powered phone handset during power cuts,  therefore everyone should be investing in a UPS now ! - if having phone and/or broadband is important to you during power cuts !.

(Yes I know "SOTAP for Analogue" exists, but that isn't a long term solution, is only available to existing phone users that don't have broadband, and will be withdrawn before 2030)

@Baldrick1 wrote:

... and hopefully time for the planned introduction of an easier means of porting a landline phone mumber to a VoIP provider.

I'm confused ?,  easier than what ?

As previously stated, I've had an existing VoIP number since 2013,  but last year I also converted my FTTC+landline to SoGEA+VoIP.  The process was the easiest moving of a household utility service ever.  I signed up for migration with my gaining provider in maybe 15 minutes online.  About two weeks later my broadband switched overnight with almost zero downtime - my old connection was still working in the morning so just needed to enter my new username/password in the router and reboot. My phone DECT base station can do both PSTN and VoIP, so setup my new VoIP connection settings in advance.  When my landline switched over from PSTN  to VoIP, the landline phone number's incoming calls were unavailable for less than maybe 20 minutes, and  there was zero downtime on making outgoing calls.

How can it get easier than that ?,  if you choose to make things more difficult then that's up to you !

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

@Anonymous wrote:

Having done that myself, A&A are very careful to ensure no hiccups when transferring services, and have been excellent !

Let's see how this reputation for customer service holds up when there are ten times the number of users/customers after the switchover next year!

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

@Anonymous wrote:

When my landline switched over from PSTN  to VoIP, the landline phone number's incoming calls were unavailable for less than maybe 20 minutes, ...

That's good to know, but is that downtime acceptable to business and the emergency services?

Baldrick1

@Anonymous wrote:

@Baldrick1 wrote:
This gives another 18 months of the phone working during a power cut

The delaying moving to VoIP because of power cuts excuse is just a cop-out, because if you don't have a UPS already for your broadband router then clearly you don't care that you don't have internet access during a hypothetical emergency

During a powercut all that I need to report the mains failure or call emergenct services is a working phone line.

@Baldrick1 wrote:
... and hopefully time for the planned introduction of an easier means of porting a landline phone mumber to a VoIP provider.

I'm confused ?,  easier than what ?

If moving to a different ISP that also provides a phone service then fine, it's simple. However if for example you want to stay with Plusnet or transfer to a budget ISP that doesn't bundle in a phone package then retrieving a quarantined phone number is currently restricted to a very limited number of VoIP providers (I'm only aware of one).

Moderator and Customer

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Anonymous 

As a matter of interest what power backup do you have?

For your internet to still be working after several hours of power cuts your "Sogea Cabinet" must have a backup generator. There have been reports on this forum of Cabinets losing power after as little as 30 minutes.

Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two large APC units with external car batteries, two Eaton S3, and a small Belkin UPS.

My FTTC cabinet is just outside the fence surrounding the exchange, so might be powered from the exchange ?

Batfrog
Rising Star

I have never lived in an area where there was a choice of ISP not supplied via the Openreach infrastructure, other than via mobile networks of course, although 100 yards away in the ‘main’ road Virgin is available. That being the case and wanting broadband and a ‘landline’ I currently have FTTP and VOIP for telephone. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the population are in the same position. 

Living on the edge of a small market town in a semi-rural area I guess we’ve been lucky in that in the seven or so years we’ve lived here I don’t recall having any power cuts. (oop’s shouldn’t have said that !)  So I won’t be worrying about a UPS, at present anyway.

Just curious but am I correct in saying that other than Plusnet there are no other ISPs using the Openreach network and NOT providing a VOIP type service ?  makes you wonder what BT’s endgame is for Plusnet?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Anonymous 

That's some backup setup you've got there.

Given the Cabinet continues to work during power cuts it's logical to assume power is supplied via the Exchange and therefore has access to whatever backup the Exchange has. I suspect not many poeople will be as lucky as you.

Brian

Baldrick1

@Batfrog wrote:

……….makes you wonder what BT’s endgame is for Plusnet?

A no frills, budget, ‘broadband’ only ISP, catering for the generation with mobile phones and no use for a fixed landline or other bells and whistles?

I guess not very far different to how Plusnet started out, I don’t know as I was with Metronet at the time. The difference is that originally the Internet service piggy backed on to a third party phone line. In the future the third party phone (if required) will piggy back on to the Internet connection..

Moderator and Customer

Schiehallion
Grafter

@Anonymous wrote:

Once the analogue phone switch off happens at the end of 2025,  the next Openreach target is to decommission all the telephone exchanges starting from 2028 (taking about five years).  Given that all ADSL lines terminate at a telephone exchange,  you can see that the mass removal of copper cables to homes, and forced conversion to FTTP, is going to be the next big push from 2026 to maybe 2030.  Therefore your father might as well sort out moving from ADSL to FTTP and VoIP sooner rather than later.

Have been at my dad's house over the weekend. Have had a look at how the fibre cable could be run from the existing duct, to where he would want the ONT. We reckon we can lift about 8ft of flooring to allow the cable to be run under the floor to the ONT location.

My dad and I feel that we're better to go the FTTP/ VOIP road now, rather than renew the ADSL contract.

.Have you considered moving both phone and broadband to A&A ?

A&A 115/20 FTTP is £37/month  + A&A VoIP at £1.44/month + VoIP calls (600 minutes at 1.5p/min = £9)

Having done that myself, A&A are very careful to ensure no hiccups when transferring services, and have been excellent !.

Might stick with Plusnet for FTTP. And use either A&A or Virtual Landline for VOIP.

Or, move phone and Broadband to BT, SKY or Zen

Not sure which is the best option. Going for BT/ Zen? SKY means he doesn't need a seperate ATA (and power supply) as the phone plugs into the router.

Also been quite happy with Plusnet over the years. The only significant issue has been with Openreach.

Is that 20/1 Mb/s the actual speed of his ADSL, or the advertised product speeds ?

I've had VoIP since 2013,  several years were on ADSL2+ without much issue.

In my experience, I wouldn't want to be running VoIP on a line with an actual upload speed less than about 720Kb/s, as it is very easy these days for web downloads/streaming etc to overwhelm an ADSL connection, causing unreliable VoIP calls UNLESS you are using a third party router with QoS to prioritise VoIP traffic.

His measured speed (using Ookla) is 20/1 Mb/s. His exchange is in the same street (4 doors down). I had wondered if the 1 Mb/s would be reliable enough for upload for VOIP too (I mean in the real world, not in theory).

Schiehallion
Grafter

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@Batfrog wrote:

……….makes you wonder what BT’s endgame is for Plusnet?

A no frills, budget, ‘broadband’ only ISP, catering for the generation with mobile phones and no use for a fixed landline or other bells and whistles?

I guess not very far different to how Plusnet started out, I don’t know as I was with Metronet at the time. The difference is that originally the Internet service piggy backed on to a third party phone line. In the future the third party phone (if required) will piggy back on to the Internet connection..

The Metronet name takes me back.

I initially took out broadband with BT, then moved to Metronet (I really liked them).

The move was a bit of a no brainer, even though it was Pay AS You Go broadband. The price was capped (I think less than half the BT price), while the usage was unlimited. Never had any issue with them.

Moved to Plusnet, when they took over Metronet. Now things have virtually gone full circle, when BT took over Plusnet!

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

His measured speed (using Ookla) is 20/1 Mb/s. His exchange is in the same street (4 doors down). I had wondered if the 1 Mb/s would be reliable enough for upload for VOIP too (I mean in the real world, not in theory).

I'll make no assumption about his household, BUT.... Unless there are other members of the household heavily loading the connection while he is making phone calls that is way more than adequate.

Speed is similar to my ADSL before I moved to FTTC and we had no problems with VOIP at that phase of our "managed transition".