Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over charging for calls.

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Over charging for calls.

I was testing a fax modem so made two one minute calls to a couple of numbers and was charged 18p for each call. The total cost of a one minute call to either an 0845 number or local number is 16.49p rounded to 17p not 18p as being charged, I wonder how many people are overcharged for calls and never notice Angry
One other thing can the Tariff be easier to find instead of hidden in a long list of questions.
9 REPLIES 9
itsme
Grafter

Re: Over charging for calls.

According to my calculations it's 10.9p setup charge plus 6.4p per minute = 17.3p
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I agree that all information is hard to find starting from the home page. The calculation method should be listed with the tariff. instead of here.
http://www.plus.net/support/phone/home_phone/billing.shtml#howMuch
"7. How much do chargeable calls cost?
Our Home Phone Tariff confirms the cost of different calls types and setup fees.
   Calls are charged for minimum length of 1 minute and are rounded up to the next minute*
   The setup fee (if applicable) is added
   The total is rounded up to the nearest penny"
As itsme says calls up to a minute to 0845 (when not included in package)  6.4p+10.9p=17.3p and that is rounded up to 18p.

AlaricAdair
Champion

I've grown to like PlusNet over the past few months, but if you buy phone minutes from them you are going to be exposed to the BT phone charge structure. Once you step outside of a "plan" you will receive a severe financial lashing.
I once had BT try to charge me £2.50 a month low usage charge on a line because I didn't make enough outgoing calls on the line.  It was in fact a disaster recovery line on which I receive one test call a month, but for which we pay BT the standard rental.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
glloyd
Rising Star

Yes sorry I missed the .4. Still a damn rip off charging 10.9p connection charge even when it's over their own network. I suppose this is all down to OFCOM brilliant idea of splitting up BT so each bit can add their own charges.
Quote from: itsme
According to my calculations it's 10.9p setup charge plus 6.4p per minute = 17.3p

paace

When they say 'setup charge' what does this mean? What has to be setup?
glloyd
Rising Star

Nothing, everything is automated as it always was. It's just another excuse to rip customers off.
AlaricAdair
Champion

paace - they are talking about the connection charge. At one stage you'd have a lady (guy) sitting at a switchboard in the local exchange. She'd physically move a plug and cord to connect your call. For long distance calls she'd also contact the next exchange along the route to make sure they setup the next leg of the call.
Sadly BT seem to have forgotten they no longer use humans to make the connection, it is all done using computer network switching at almost zero cost per call. If was a cynical person I might say they use the technique to obfuscate their real call costs.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
richster
Grafter

So, why do modern day telephones still charge this connection charge, and all (that ive seen) VoIP providers that ive used in the past, dont charge a connection fee, just the mins you use?
If it was me, id setup a sipgate account and just pop a tenner on it, id set it up  with (i cant remember its name but i'll describe, its a mobile phone with voip and wifi on their site , when your within range of a wifi signal, you can make landline calls and its only £29.00) that phone, and if i want to make calls that are chargable, i'd use that
simple
Ellis
Grafter

I used to use a Skype account before I had included calls. It was very useful for calling my cousin in Washington State (1p per minute). After that I used a Swiss company for inland calls at 5p connection charge and 0p per minute. The only problem with that was that my called numbers thought they were getting spam calls as they were coming in "International", I often got asked where I was.
I now have Plusnet included calls any time for £3.50 a month. Which compared with around £5.00 for two months with the Swiss company.