cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordered broadband and phone on 23rd June, 3 days later BT line was cut off.

clivepage

Ordered broadband and phone on 23rd June, 3 days later BT line was cut off.

On 23rd June I ordered the transfer of my broadband service from BE to Plusnet, and also BT phone service to Plusnet.  I have been told that Plusnet broadband is due to go live on 3rd July, but that the phone line transfer can take "two to three weeks".  Suddenly today the phone line was cut off - no dial tone, and incoming calls fail.  But the line is still connected to the exchange because broadband is still working (with BE obviously).  BT have an automated system which seems to make it impossible to talk to a human.  I called Plusnet on my mobile phone and they were helpful but denied that it could be anything to do with them. 
We have experienced a phone fault once before several years ago but it naturally affected both broadband and phone calls - it seems very suspicious that this time the phone has been cut off just when we are trying to transfer the service from BT to Plusnet.  Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?
7 REPLIES 7
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Ordered broadband and phone on 23rd June, 3 days later BT line was cut off.

Report the fault to BT - Your phone service is not yet with PlusNet so your current provider is responsible for fixing it.
clivepage

We have reported this to BT (obviously), but only via their automated system. This said that it would get attention by early next week.
Fortunately this morning the telephone is working again. 
It obviousl wasn't a line fault just something being done at the exchange.  I'm still very suspicious, as it's the only time in 40 years of having a phone that I have encountered something like this, and the first time in 40 years that I have tried to switch our home phone service from BT to another supplier.  I hope the rest of the migration to Plusnet goes more smoothly...
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi clivepage,
Welcome to Plusnet and our community forums.
I've taken a look over the account and can see that everything is on track for your broadband to complete next week and then your phone line will follow after.
There's nothing that we have initiated with your phone line yet, so it is pure coincidence that this has happened. I'm glad to see that your phone line is now working again for you.
Let me know if you have any questions prior to getting activated with us.
Chris
Devonian
Grafter

When I swapped to PlusNet from BT exactly the same happened to me.
BT ceased the line without warning.
It took weeks of fighting BT and help from this very forum to put it right.
BT denied it for weeks, even when PlusNet confirmed there had been a cease order on the line with kept cancelling out the new order to transfer to PlusNet!
Call BT, and be firm, do not take no for an answer, and do not beleive what India tell you.
Stay on the phone until you are passed to a British call centre, which they will do if you insist, then it will be sorted.
Good luck!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Devonian
When I swapped to PlusNet from BT exactly the same happened to me.

Don't think so.  Wink
Reread the post, it was just a temporary fault.  Cool
Devonian
Grafter

Woooah... I missed that whole part!
Me and my stupid nightshift sleeping pattern messing up my reading skills...  Embarrassed
clivepage

As the original poster: well I *hope* it was a temporary fault. 
And I'm happy to accept the assurance from Chris Purvey of Plusnet that it was nothing to do with them, but it was odd enough that it made me (temporarily) suspicious.  Thanks to all who replied.