cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach / Plusnet relationship inadequate. Atrocious line installation.

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Openreach / Plusnet relationship inadequate. Atrocious line installation.

Apologies - the differences are "per month", using the "monthly equivalent" for the "annual advance payment" figures Embarrassed . CLI with BT is assumed to be free (via Privacy at Home, which includes TPS registration when activated).
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: PeeGee
Apologies - the differences are "per month", using the "monthly equivalent" for the "annual advance payment" figures Embarrassed . CLI with BT is assumed to be free (via Privacy at Home, which includes TPS registration when activated).

Surely you must have something wrong in your calculations as for Line Rental Saver the cost is £10.49 a month or £125.88 a year with Plusnet vs £10.75 per month or £129 per annum with BT.  This is a saving of less than 3% whereas your figures suggest a much bigger saving on BT's monthly line rental price of over £15 per month by being a Plusnet line rental subscriber?  Further research shows that Plusnet's line rental is £13.99 per month.  BT's is £15.45.
From BT's £15.45 one then subtracts £1 per month charged by Plusnet for Caller Display so the actual price difference between Plusnet and BT is 46p per month (£5.52 for the whole year) or just over 3% more than Plusnet's line rental prices.  So it seems that you need to go away and do your figures again as £3 per month+ cheaper with Plusnet is definitely not correct.
So like I said there are almost no savings on Plusnet line rental compared to BT's   The big savings are in the £60 off fibre unlimited broadband line rental over the first 6 months and the £70.70 Cashback from www.topcashback.co.uk that was also being paid for switching to Plusnet with fibre broadband at one stage.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are missing the one little part "like for like" add evening calls to BT and it is an extra £3.30 per month
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim
You are missing the one little part "like for like" add evening calls to BT and it is an extra £3.30 per month

BT gives weekend calls free with line rental and then evenings free as well so long as you sign a rolling contract with them or some such similar marketing slight of hand.   I'm sure that's the case because my mother used to have such a deal with BT before she moved to Plusnet.  And she didn't pay extra for the free evening calls.  So your BT add on charge for evening calls is fictitious because their customer's don't end up paying it.  They would also be mad to pay £3 just for free evening calls without paying the full charge for Anytime calls.
Anyway congratulations to all involved for managing to completely de-rail this thread off its original topic of Plusnet refusing to get BT Openreach back to fix line faults created by the fitting of a filtered master socket faceplate due to the atrocious communication arrangements in place between Plusnet and BT Openreach.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Capvermell
Rising Star

I am quoting from the BT website http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/landline/packages

And I am quoting from the BT website page at http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF... Tongue
Unlimited UK Evening & Weekend calls at no extra cost – 18 months contract deal
Unlimited UK Evening & Weekend calls at no extra cost are available to eligible residential customers agreeing to an 18 month contract on the Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan.
You will only pay line rental, which has a monthly cost of £15.45 if you pay by Direct Debit or monthly payment plan.

Plusnet has no equivalent beneficial deal to BT's for signing for phone line rental on an 18 month contract.  Indeed the current Fibre Unlimited deal requires an 18 month contract on phone and broadband but does not provide any of BT's ancillary packaged benefits such as a free YouView box worth £249+
So Oldjim perhaps you would like to actually represent the facts objectively rather than as one of Plusnet's paid up card carrying Fan Boys? Shocked Angry Angry Angry
Of course it does seem disturbing that the 18 month contract term for free evening and weekend calls is a different term from that required for Line Rental Saver (12 months).  So BT's objective is quite clearly therefore to lock you in forever by being able to make you lose a significant amount of money in advance contractual commitments if you are rash enough to ever leave them. Shocked
I believe the useless saps at Ofcom are supposedly conducting an investigation in to these unfair long term contractual tie ins.
P.S.   I did not notice that you had unaccountably been promoted to the status of forum moderator since the last time I was posting in these forums regularly.  I therefore await my banishment to the Outer Darkness  in due course for daring to question the posts of a Forum God (AKA moderator).  Nonetheless I suspect my comments about you being a Fan Boy of Plusnet are more substantively vindicated by your new role as an unpaid worker on behalf of the Plusnet (AKA BT of Yorkshire) Empire.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Note to self - check when he was last here as I have been a moderator for yonks - at least it feels like it  Embarrassed
Second note - Fan Boy - cheeky sod  Shocked
Capvermell
Rising Star

Note to self - check when he was last here as I have been a moderator for yonks - at least it feels like it  Embarrassed

I'm sure that I remember commenting in threads in days when you were only a well seasoned forum member.  My issues were mainly to do with the reliability of the email servers (the only aspect of Plusnet's service I was actually using at the time) and my experience stretches as far back as the days of a formerly independent Plusnet run by a CEO who modelled himself more after Michael O'Leary.  That CEO was deported to the Gulags when BT decided that it wanted a second broadband ISP that could go toe to toe with TalkTalk on price.
Second note - Fan Boy - cheeky sod  Shocked

Was a bit cheeky I admit.  But then you had just suggested that I hadn't checked BT's call package offerings properly when in fact I had as I knew the kind of deals that BT offers its long term customers from the fact the that one of my relatives was one of their number until only a few weeks ago.
There are many good things about Plusnet compared to BT.  Especially the fact that all customer service and tech support is UK based.  However strong differentiation from parent BT's charges for line rental or calls is not one of them as Plusnet has generally followed in close imitation of those prices, including extending Off Peak weekday call hours to 7pm when BT did so three years ago and a near identical deal on the Line Rental Saver.
Capvermell
Rising Star

Masterly use of Google (a search for "oldjim" "moderator" "congratulations" and "plus" took me straight to the relevant forum post) has allowed me to quickly identify the date of oldjim's elevation to the moderator ranks on the Plusnet Community forums as being February 8th 2009.
See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73754.0.html/
Records show that I registered on the Plusnet Community forum on December 16th 2007 but I feel sure that encounters with oldjim may go back further than that to places such as the adslguide forums (or as they now try to call the place - thinkbroadband).
All I can say is that when I last had the most to do with Oldjim I feel sure that he was not then a moderator of the forum.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Only 4 years - seems much longer  Lips_are_sealed
I was a "Bright Spark"  Grin - certainly not that now  Sad - and I remember being extremely caustic about Plusnet's failings at about or just before that time which is probably why the posters voted me on
I registered on the forum on 15th June 2007 so not much before you but I seem to have been on TBB before that as I went onto broadband in 2003 with Plusnet - looks like I registered for TBB on 08-Jan-05
James
Grafter

This forum was launched in April '07. (That's when my account is from anyway, which *may* be from our beta site pre launch)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The archived posts go back to at least 2001
James
Grafter

Good point.  Those are from the old portal forums.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Capvermell
...oldjim's elevation to the moderator ranks on the Plusnet Community forums as being February 8th 2009.

24th June 2009 for me Roll_eyes
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine