cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Reach dependency causing more problems- Ofcom responds?

shantijoe
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Open Reach dependency causing more problems- Ofcom responds?

Hello
as a new customer I waited 6 weeks for a line installation taking day off work 'on the day'. Nobody came and on investigation found Open Reach were saying a new pole needed erecting 'as the capacity was reached' on the one 2 metres from my home.  they claim they need council permission. I checked with my local council who saw no problem with the existing pole and asked me to contact Open Reach directly- which I found I cannot do- this is up to PlusNet.
Ofcom are finally coming down on Open Reach demanding they respond to faults and complaints 'within 2 days' this year. The question is- do Ofcom or dependent communication companies, such as PlusNet have to will to push this through?
My response from PlusNet, so far, is that they hope to have an installation after another 4 weeks (then 10 weeks in total) but cannot be sure.
Is this good enough? Not for me, unable to work from home or contact emergency services, should the need arise, as mobile coverage is terrible- catch 22!
What do you think? thanks, joe
5 REPLIES 5
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Open Reach dependency causing more problems- Ofcom responds?

Hi shantijoe,
I'm sorry to hear about the delay regarding your new phone line being installed.
It is true that if a new pole is required then permission from your local council will be needed if the work includes traffic management and dig work. Unfortunately your council won't have access to all the job information that OpenReach do and therefore may not be aware of the reason why a new pole is required. If OpenReach could use the current pole that is already there then they would do so. It's a costly and time consuming procedure to erect a new pole and this is always avoided if possible. OpenReach don't benefit from delaying your installation and neither do Plusnet, however, we have to rely on the information provided by OpenReach.
I can see that you opened Ticket: 82292493 on your account with further information and I've transferred this information on to Ticket: 82239838 which is already dealing with this situation. We will contact our suppliers with this information and we'll pop an update on Ticket: 82239838 for you.
shantijoe
Dabbler

I managed to speak to an engineer at my local Open Reach depot about the need for a new pole before installation (ordered in January- it's now late March).
He said that a 'cherry picker' was routinely used when a pole was too old or difficult to climb. The job would only take a few minutes.
I asked him why this should cause such a long delay and his reply was that I should insist on an explanation form my provider.
All this and more has been sent to PlusNet but I'm still waiting....... Roll_eyes
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi shantijoe,
In this particular instance it is a decaying pole which means that OpenReach are erecting a new pole to move all the existing connections onto this pole as well as installing your new connection. Indeed, if the current pole was going to continue being used then a cherry picker would be required to avoid an engineer climbing the pole, however, in this instance the pole is not going to be used. I can appreciate that the engineer has told you this based on the information you've given them, however, they will not know all the information that is noted on your order. The engineer shouldn't have given you this information and told you it was concrete as it isn't applicable. I'm sorry if they've caused any confusion or inconvenience.
I'll add my notes on the ticket to our support team and they will be contacting our suppliers in the next few days for any further updates.
shantijoe
Dabbler

Hi Linn
well the 31st of March has passed and there is no sign of a new pole or a ( now 3rd) line installation date. I have contacted your CEO, Andy Baker, with this sorry history hoping something can be done to restore transparent communication and customer confidence.
Meanwhile perhaps you have an update for me?
thank, S Read
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi shantijoe,
I'm sorry we've not been able to provide you with a confirmed installation date. I'll have this chased up for you today and an update should be provided by the end of the day.
Just to clarify I notice you were under the impression that the new line was going to be installed on the same day that the pole was erected, unfortunately this isn't the case. The pole needs to be erected and all the routing completed before our suppliers can commit to a final installation date. I can appreciate it's taking a long time, however, erecting a new pole and laying all the cabling can take a long time.