cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One phone socket working, not the other though

tagzy
Dabbler

One phone socket working, not the other though

I had my phone line activated recently so went out and bought a phone. It works fine when plugged into the hallway socket that the engineer used to install the line. I did at one point mention there was another socket in the living room (which is the more important one to me) but I just assumed if one was sorted, the other would be as well. The socket in the living room does not appear to work. If it had to be one or the other, I would have much preferred the living room as it is right next to my computer and where I want my phone to be, but I was not given this choice. I can't see any way around fixing this other than having another engineer come round and I cannot afford to have another day off work. Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: One phone socket working, not the other though

If you unscrew the lower half of the hallway socket are there any wires attached to it.
If not are there any wires you can see which aren't connected to anything
tagzy
Dabbler

Nope, not wires connected to the removable unit or any spare wires inside the socket. Does this mean the living room socket is not connected at all?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

yes
Have you looked inside the living room socket  to see if there are any wires
Is it a BT socket - could be cable if you are in the Virgin  area
tagzy
Dabbler

The living room socket has one wire which isn't connected to anything and a few thinner wires that run being the removable unit. Virgin was installed here before, in the hallway there is the BT socket and another one that says 'Birmingham Cable Connections' on it. The living room one doesn't say anything on it and it looks like a BT socket to me.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

One thing to do is to run an extension wire from the removable front plate of the hallway socket to the socket in the lounge.
That doesn't need a BT engineer
An alternative and actually the preferred option for the best quality broadband is to change the phone to a DECT unit and connect the transmitter part to the socket in the hall with a phone next to the computer. Then locate the router next the the socket in the hall as well then either use wireless to connect to the computer or run some CAT5 cable from the router to the computer
tagzy
Dabbler

Thanks for that Jim. The living room socket was connected to the cable socket so I took out the extension cable wires running between them and wired it to the  working BT socket. This hasn't worked. I don't know why and only God knows if I've even done it correctly!  Undecided
I think the latter option will be the best its just a bit unsightly with the all the cables in the hallway. Oh well!
Thanks for your help anyway.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The terminals which need to be connected are 2 and 5 (remember connect to the removable front plate)
I don't know anything about cable sockets but you can buy a proper extension socket and try that
tagzy
Dabbler

Yeah I looked it up on the net and found out which wires go to which terminals. It's not worth stressing over though and definitely not worth an engineer callout!
Thanks for your help Jim