cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old style master socket

faddy74

Old style master socket

I'm due to have my phone line activated in a couple of days time. There is a master socket in the flat, but it's the old style without a removable faceplate and test socket. It's also not located near a mains socket for the modem. I guess however if the engineer determines that the line can be reactivated at the exchange I'm not going to get a new master socket?
According to http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/bt-master-socket-nte5.shtml, you can ask BT to "regularise" your wiring in order to get an NTE5 socket for free. Anyone done this? Do you have to be a BT customer directly or can Plusnet customers do it? Would you be able to get the socket relocated at the same time?
5 REPLIES 5
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Old style master socket

We used to have an old GPO outlet and Openreach replaced this with NTE5a, for free, when we had a cable to house repaired.
picbits
Rising Star

It's a 5 minute job to fit a new master socket (including drilling new holes to mount it) - I suspect the BTOR engineer would do it anyway for an easier install.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The engineer should call or contact you to check the line is working. Tell him you don't have a proper master socket and he should come and fit an NTE5a. Other than that it is a chargeable job if done outside an install or repair.
faddy74

Well, an extremely helpful engineer turned up and fitted a new socket and moved it to a new location. And refused a tip! Said his policy is always to be helpful if customer is polite. He also advised that the best way to be certain of getting master socket where you want it is to remove the old one and its wiring before the engineer visits!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Thanks for updating us, great news then. Hope everything else goes smoothly.