cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old phone number not transferred, why not?

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Old phone number not transferred, why not?

Thanks very much for your help with this.  I am very grateful and impressed with how quickly you resolved this for me.  As for the Openreach cable, another section has fallen off the pole in the meantime !  There must be about 150 meters now lying on the ground, but I am surprised that the broadband service is not worse.

I do not like having to raise issues in public; it was so much better honestly in the old ticket days !

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @shermans

No problem at all, happy to help in any way I can.

Ah that's not good. From what I can see an engineer went out on the 14th December, advising that they've done a temporary repair and raised a task to properly sort things out, as it'd need a hoist and traffic management to close a road off.

It can generally take around 5 working days to arrange this and/or for the work to be completed. I'll check back on the 21st December to follow things up with you and we'll see where we are then. 

Feel free to private message me or any of the Help Team listed Here who monitor our community forums to take something privately. Our private messages are drawn into an internal queuing system, a little like a ticket system.

Alternatively, if you have Facebook or Twitter, you can private message us on there.

I've raised a support ticket on your account though, so feel free to reply Here the good ol' fashioned way. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
22martin
Dabbler

Yesterday, engineer support progressed and remedied my landline number issue. I now have full function of landline and broadband services, thanks to all involved.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks for letting us know @22martin and I'm really glad to see that this issue has finally been resolved.

Please give us a shout if you need any further assistance with your service.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

It is all change again !  I subscribed to the Vodafone Giga-Cube on a 14 day trial, took it home, connected it up which was easy and tried it.  Did a number of speed tests over the next two days but was disappointed with the results.  Even though we are about 1.5 miles from the mast, and I was supposed to be able to get 40 mbps download as opposed to the 20 mbps max which I get now with Plusnet / Openreach, the performance on the speed test was only 25-30 mbps, presumably due to the terrain between our house and the mast.  However, the extra cost was £40 more per month !  In the end, I just could not justify the extra cost, because it is not worth it for such a small improvement in performance and have cancelled under the terms of the trial.

I am out of contract with Plusnet and now have to decide what to do.  I am in a rural area where there is fibre to the cabinet a mile away, and from there in copper.  The speed is very variable, often 14 mbps but it can be as high as 22 mbps.  I do not therefore want to lock myself into a long contract in case Openreach decide to replace the old copper in the lane for the last mile, or, which is more likely, do a deal with Wessex Internet who laid fibre in a field all along the lane about two years ago, but have just announced that they are not going to activate it because there are not enough takers !  The obvious thing is for Openreach to step in, perhaps.

Plusnet have a current offer of £21.99 per month for unlimited broadband with an average download speed of 10 mb. on a 12 month contract.  I assume that they would be using the same connection as I currently have, namely the fibre to the cabinet and from there in copper which delivers between 14 mbps and 20 mbps +.  It is very variable all the time.

Now the alternative Plusnet package is £24.99 per month, for which I cannot see any reason to pay extra if the service is going to be the same as the £21.99 per month !  I do not mind paying extra if I am going to get extra, but not if the service is going to be exactly the same on the same fibre + copper !

So my question is whether Plusnet deliberately slows down the service for the cheaper price, or actually disconnects the existing fibre to the cabinet, and runs the service all the way from the exchange in the village (another half mile away) to my house only in copper all the way, which I find doubtful ?  I appreciate that it is not Plusnet who provides the infrastructure but Openreach.

My preference is to remain with Plusnet because eventually Openreach will install fibre all the way.  My alternative is to transfer to Vodafone using the same Openreach infrastructure as I currently have for £19 per month with a guaranteed minimum 19.3 mbps.

What to do ?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for the detailed summary on what went on with your Vodefone service and I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out.

To answer your question, if you do decide to downgrade to ADSL (copper all the way), we'd place a Modify order on your broadband service, so Openreach would go out and switch you over to the copper network.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds