cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oddity with incoming SMS to landline..

kmilburn
Grafter

Oddity with incoming SMS to landline..

A friend sent a text message to my landline  today,  which  had an odd result .
After the message was sent,  I received  3 calls from the system about a new message in about half an hour.
Each time, I answered the phone, listened to the message,  then deleted it,  every time it was the same (first) portion of the message sent.
Three hours later,  I receive another call,  which is part 2 of the (3 part) message.
some time later, (which I wasn't around for) another two messages were received,  a repeat of part two,  plus part three..

So,  for those in the know,  any idea why a text message which apparently took three SMS messages ,  took six (3 x part 1,  2 x part 2, + 1x part 3) separate calls over more than 4 hours to be delivered.
6 REPLIES 6
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Oddity with incoming SMS to landline..

I had more fun this morning,  I received a call just after 08:00,  with another text message (part 3 again) which was apparently delivered  shortly after 05:00..   
so far,  I had no other messages,  so hopefully this 3 part message is done after 7 calls over more than 16 hours...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi,
I'll be looking into this with someone shortly, I'm sure there may be a reason for the separation of the messages but I'll get back to you when we know more.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

In our experience delays on text>voice can sometimes happen and is generally caused by a fault on the supplier side of things. If it's a concern and you genuinely want to use that service in the future we can get that raised if need be.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
the supplier side of things

... and who might that be?
As far as the end user is concerned, there are only two suppliers. One is the network operator who supplied the SIM card in the mobile that sent the SMS (I'm assuming that it was sent from a mobile) and the other is Plusnet, who supply the receiving phone service.
Most mobiles have the ability to accept long SMS messages & break them into separate messages for transmission. Modern mobiles put them back together again on receipt, although this can take some time if parts are delayed. Older mobiles display the parts as separate messages. Does the Plusnet system have this capability to re-combine long messages, before ringing them through to a landline as re-generated speech?

kmilburn
Grafter

Thanks for the info Adam...
I'm not  that fussed as the message was sent to the landline by mistake,  but it's delivery is certainly not what was expected.
And Simon does have a good point,    who exactly is the supplier in this instance,  and if it's the mobile company of the sender,  why was the delivery of the segments so patchy and repetitive, when this is not observed when receiving text on a mobile!
From what I can tell, Plusnets (or should that be BTs) system doesn't patch the multipart message back into a single message before ringing them through..
As an aside,  Plusnets system that sends SMS messages for fault reports also likes breaking them apart in such a way that the receiving mobile thinks they are independent messages.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

and who might that be?

BT Openreach who are our phone service supplier as the OP has their phone service with us.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team