cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number showing up that we did not ring

steveuk
Grafter

Number showing up that we did not ring

Was just going through the phone and i noticed a number showing that i have not seen before, after checking online this number seems to be associated with Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway Prize Draw.
According to my account this call was made on  04/04/2015 and the number for that call is 09041619234.
I don't even watch tv let alone ring random numbers and i have asked mother and father if they have rang this number and they both said no and have no reason to lie.
From a bit of reserch online it seems a few other people from different ISP's have also noticed a charge on there bill and the number is the same.
I believe this is some type of scam although i cannot prove it but i know we never rang that number from our house phone.
4 REPLIES 4
catelliott
Grafter

Re: Number showing up that we did not ring

Hi there,
I've taken a look into this, and have even pulled the raw call data, but this call has definitely been made from your line. The call lasted 29 seconds (rounded up to 1 minute) and was made on 04/04/15 at 20:05:36.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: catelliott
...this call has definitely been made from your line. The call lasted 29 seconds (rounded up to 1 minute) and was made on 04/04/15 at 20:05:36.
my bold
I don't think that is in dispute. However -
Quote from: steveuk
...we never rang that number from our house phone.
  my bold
Houses are usually fairly secure, and exchanges probably more so - but everything in between?
Virtually no security at all.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
steveuk
Grafter

Must have a ghost in the house then as i know for a fact i never made that call and mom and dad inssist they never called that number.
Also seems odd that we would call Ant and dec's take away number just for 29 seconds if we wanted to try and win something.
Either way something fishy is going and i don't like it.
Don't get me wrong im not exactly asking for a refund but i do know we did not ring that number and i still think something funny is going on so i will be keeping an eye on things very closely.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: steveuk
Must have a ghost in the house...

More likely outside...  Wink
When I mentioned the lack of security, I was referring to the distribtion network 'twixt you and the exchange - the cabinets and junction boxes.
Granted, this is a more extreme example, but this article throws some light on what can and does happen.
...it can happen at the green boxes on street corners, or most likely, at the junction box next to the victim's home.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)