Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number port from Plusnet to VOIP

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Number port from Plusnet to VOIP

I wonder if anyone has done this (but is taking a nostalgic look back at the Plusnet forum)?  I'll be moving house soon (to far far away) but would like to continue to receive calls on my current number.  The VOIP company I was considering (Vonage) don't seem overly optimistic that it will work.    

6 REPLIES 6
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: Number port from Plusnet to VOIP

Has Vonage given you a reason why they are not optimistic it will work?

You could always see what Sipgate say 
https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/204155912-Porting-my-existing-telephone-number-to-...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Thank you for the link @ITWorks.  Sipgate says :

there are some providers and area codes that sipgate cannot port from.

but go on to give specific information about which suppliers they can and cannot port from.  Perhaps Vonage just gives a more pessimistic spin on the same circumstances? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

@ReedRichards just make sure you don't cancel the line before the port. The action of porting will automatically cease the line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Yes, it's rather awkward, @MisterW.  I can't even cancel the broadband because Plusnet don't do phone-only contracts and I can't move my Plusnet services to the new address because Plusnet don't do FTTP.  So I will just have to wait until my new VOIP provider ports the line from Pluanet, it seems. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

@ReedRichards who are you looking at for FTTP at the new place? I believe IDNET do a no phone line FTTP product at a fair price.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I have already signed-up with a FTTP supplier, @MisterW .  I went with one with a good reputation for customer service and thus far they have answered the phone a lit faster than Plusnet did when I called to ask about moving.