cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number port FROM voip To Plusnet

riponian

Number port FROM voip To Plusnet

Just wondering if anyone has ever managed to move a number from a voip service to Plusnet?

I have had a home phone number for over 30 years (obviously a BT geographic number!) which I ported to Vonage about 3 years ago and now I want to move to my Plusnet line to replace the existing number issued when  the service was installed.

Plusnet say I should terninate the voip service first but Vonage say a dead number can't be ported and Plusnet should intiate the process for me. I'm already fed up with the 45 minute waits on support phones line so can anyone here help?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Re: Number port FROM voip To Plusnet

Are you aware that BT will be moving everyone to VoIP by 2025 see BT pushes ahead with plans to switch off traditional telephone network ?

From looking at another post here  I wonder if it can be done using the 'Use Imported Number option' that is mentioned.

digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I'm in the process of doing this. I do have a problem because it turns out that my line, which is working perfectly for fibre broadband has no dial tone. As I can't guarantee being at home for a while and Openreach want somebody in when they fix it I can't say for sure that the port has actually worked. Hopefully I'll find it has later next month - if it didn't I've lost the number because I closed my account with them once the account said they no longer had my original number.

Do not close the Vonage account until after the port has happened. You were badly advised by whoever told you to close the account first. It took a while for my Vonage account to show that the number had been lost to them and that they had allocated a fresh number. If your landline is actually working you will obviously know immediately after it has been done.

I assume you are moving from Vonage because of their ever increasing charges. Just call Plusnet CS and ask them to port the number in. Vonage cooperate in the process as required. I can understand why you are annoyed by the call wait times. I had that in spades along with being cut off at least twice while supposedly being transferred. Just grit your teeth whenever they put that bloke on claiming to "do you proud".

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Just to echo what @digitalham said, don't close the Vonage account before the number has been ported.

Some people will try to tell you that's it's not possible to port a number from Voip to BT, but if the number was originally alloacted by BT, then its shouldn't be a problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

riponian

Thanks everyone - I'll just continue pestering then.