Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Withheld request

FIXED
johnb8
Dabbler

Number Withheld request

It has not been the smoothest of migrations to Plusnet from BT but it did happen on the 30th May, although we did not have the broadband hub!!! Had to alter existing to use Plusnet services.

We were promised the same options etc as BT but of course with a reduced bill.  We discovered that out number was now displayed when making a call (always been withheld) plus we are unsure if we are still ex-directory.  So far three attempts at having them restored, the first PN agent did not understand our request but added Call Protect!!. The next two, who were helpful, understood fully, thankfully, but up to this moment in time our number is still visible to others (no idea about ex-directory)

Does anyone have an idea how to get our request activated.

33 REPLIES 33
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Number Withheld request

PN numbers are ex-directory by default IIRC.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
johnb8
Dabbler

Thanks for reply and info on ex-directory - that is good news. Any luck with number withheld issue.

Regards

dvorak

That you'll need a PN staff member for, I'm just a customer like you Smiley
Customer / Moderator
johnb8
Dabbler

oops, missed that. Sorry.

New to this- how do l bring this to the attention of a PN staff member. Have already made one call and two live message chats.

Thanks

dvorak

You don't need to do anything, they will be aware of the thread and reply in due course Smiley
Customer / Moderator
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I'm sorry about the issues so far, I've just had a look through and can definitely see the actions we've taken so far simply weren't right so I've got some feedback to pass on about that. 

I've just placed the order to disable caller display and that should take effect within the next few hours. 

Due to the problems with this so far I'm going to keep an eye on your account today so I can reply back here to let you know when it's completed so you can give it a try. 

Thanks for your patience!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi John, 

I've just checked and the order to remove caller display that I placed has gone through now. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@adamwalker wrote:

I've just placed the order to disable caller display...

Er... but the OP isn't requesting that Caller Display is DISABLED - rather that Permanent Number Withhold is ENABLED.

Whether this is with or without the 1470 override option has not ben mentioned.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Well it looks like yours truly got the wrong end of the stick there, sorry about that johnb8! 

Upon further inspection it looks like you'll need to dial 1470 to activate it, please give it a try and let me know if it's still a problem. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Permanent Number Withhold is a feature that needs to be enabled.

It can be provided as "totally permanent", or with the option to use 1470 as a prefix to display the number on individual calls.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

To elaborate, we've enabled the number being permanently withheld. I just want to ask if @johnb8 can give it a try using 1470 as a prefix before dialling to see what happens. I'd just like to check that before reporting a fault with the feature to Openreach.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@adamwalker 

I think that there is some confusion here which needs clarity!  This BT page describes this network feature more clearly...

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7693/~/how-do-i-use-141%2C-1470-and-1471%3F/...

Using 141 and 1470
If you're not withholding your number permanently, you can use 141 to withhold your number on a call-by-call basis.

Simply dial 141 then dial the number you want to call.

If you have chosen to have your number permanently withheld, you can use 1470 to enable your number to be released on a call-by-call basis.

141 blocks sending the caller's CLI on a call by call basis

1470 SENDS the caller's CLI on a call by call basis, when the line has the Number Permanently Withheld feature enabled.

Therefore putting the 1470 prefix on a call will NOT check that the feature is indeed applied and working.  If the CLI is presented (as it should be) there will be no discernment of NPW being working correctly or not.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

johnb8
Dabbler

Hello all, l have read all the comments about our request to have a permanent withheld number. I was familiar with the 141 and 1470 options from our previous setup with BT. But it seems my request has been completely misunderstood as Champion and Townman have said.

I have called our mobiles from home phone and number or name is displayed, we tried 141 as a prefix and number was withheld, as it should. We tried the request by Adam (PN help team) of the 1470 prefix but as you have all guessed it displayed our number/name. 

In the meantime we have just received an email informing us that caller display has been removed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we have that back please. We are definitely beginning to regret the move to Plusnet

johnb8
Dabbler

@adamwalker wrote: To elaborate, we've enabled the number being permanently withheld. I just want to ask if @johnb8 can give it a try using 1470 as a prefix before dialling to see what happens. I'd just like to check that before reporting a fault with the feature to Openreach.

Adam, l have responded to the above about an hour ago,  Have copied over email received concerning removal of Caller Display, which as you know is not what we requested.

Hello J***************

Account username: ***********

We've completed the changes to your Call Features. We've removed the following:

Caller Display

Want more information?

You can see full details about your phone service in the Home Phone Control Panel

Our support site has lots of information on Home Phone. 

If you need help, get in touch with our Support Team using the Help Assistant or call us on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200.

Kind regards, 

Plusnet Customer Support 
www.plus.net