cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Porting

dc3011

Number Porting

Hi, quick technical question regarding number porting. 

When porting a number away from either Plusnet or one of your resellers (John Lewis, for example), who is the landline number hosted with?

I'm moving my landline number away from Plusnet to VoIP and the new provider are asking me who the Plusnet number is hosted with/who they should have a porting agreement with to port the number out. I suspect this would be BT rather than Plusnet, could someone please confirm for me?

12 REPLIES 12
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Number Porting

For a landline phone number we provide, it'll be hosted on the BT network and your VoIP provider should have a porting agreement with BT.

As a heads up though unless you have a FTTP service when you port a landline number out from us to a VoIP provider or any non-BT provider, this will cease the broadband service.

I hope this helps. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
martintillbrook

I was just about to ask this same question. I'd like to port my number away from Plusnet but I still need the landline for my FTTC internet connection.

Is there any way i can get the line re-numbered once the port has gone through? It obviously doesn't help having no internet and a voip number!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

In theory it's possible to export a landline number to VoIP renumbering the phone line in the process to a different number. I've attempted this once as part of a trial a long time ago and while it was a success on that occasion, the chances of it failing ceasing the phone line, broadband and losing the number itself was a really high risk.

Either way though unfortunately this isn't something we offer or that we'll be able to do via our systems we have. 

A much better option would be to get a second line installed with a new number and broadband, then when you export your original number to VoIP while it'll cease that line and broadband, you'll still have a service on the second line which could then become your main line. 

Worth bearing in mind though if you're in contract you may incur an early termination fee but if you can send me a private message if you do create a second account for a new line at the same address, I'm sure I can get any termination fees waived based on the fact you're pretty much re-signing up to us.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lohr500
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

I'm looking to port out my landline number to Localphone in the next few weeks as my contract with Plusnet comes to an end.

I'm on an FTTC service so I realise that the port out request will also terminate my broadband service and contract with you.

Localphone have provided me with a form to request the porting. On it they ask for the "Current Voice Carrier" and "Current Underlying Carrier".  Should I answer Plusnet for the former and BT for the latter, or something else?

I'm moving away from Plusnet only because we are a very internet hungry household and need more than the max speed we can currently get through our FTTC service. At this point in time there is no update from BTw/OR on when or if FTTP will be rolled out in our area.

I can improve the speed by using a local WISP provider. Sorry to leave Plusnet and will probably return once we get better fibre in the area.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hello, I've messaged you back privately but to drop a reply on to this thread too I believe you'd be right that it'd be Plusnet and BT respectively as we use landline numbers on the BT network.

All the best with your new provider and hopefully we'll see you return in the future.

Let me know if you've got any further queries.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lohr500
Hooked

Thanks Gandalf

bloomhelp

hi there just a quick question.

I am looking to port my landline number with broadband to VOIP.

1. once ported to the voip will Plusnet issue a new number to the landline?

2. Will Plusnet assume that porting the number to VOIP I want to cancel the line and broadband

3. VIOP requires broadband so will I need to get another line in the premises  with a new a new boradband to avoid disruption to calls.

4. Due to the lockdown would it best to wait until BT engineers are avail to work?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

1. once ported to the voip will Plusnet issue a new number to the landline? No, porting to voip will cease the landline (and thus the broadband)

2. Will Plusnet assume that porting the number to VOIP I want to cancel the line and broadband See above

3. VIOP requires broadband so will I need to get another line in the premises  with a new a new boradband to avoid disruption to calls. Yes

4. Due to the lockdown would it best to wait until BT engineers are avail to work? In my opinion, yes. BT are not doing any work that involves entering customer premises.

In principle, once the line has been ceased by the number port, the line could probably be restarted without the need to enter your premises BUT you will likely be without a landline and broadband for some days. In normal circumstances you'd probably opt to get a new line in first ( with broadband activated ) and then cease the old one But that WOULD likely involve a premises visit.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tridens
Dabbler

Hi i ported my number in March BT are doing number ports as no enginner is required its done remotely it took about 11 days

your line will be disconected

If you place a new order you will have to pay for cease line to be reactivated and you will get new number but you just use that number for BB

With having your main number with voip provider yo can go with any provider and dont have to worry about loosing your number some Isp now provide BB line only no Phone

Hope this helps

sheepfarm

Morning, I have come on to the forum because I received indifferent answers to my questions on porting my landline number away from Plusnet and then back to Plusnet once they have been able to install a new line into my new house.  The problem is arising even though back in August I requested a new line to be installed in my new house the other side of the farm.  I was told at the time it would be fine and that a survey would be done etc.  Anyway weeks go by and nothing happens until AFTER the day the line is meant to be installed, when subcontracting for Open Reach appear and say that coz a pole needs to be erected they cant install a line.  So the sage continues and at the end of October no further forward.  I need to keep my number because my husband following his strokes has real difficulty remembering numbers and many other things, but he has managed to recall our current one as it is a very simple repetition of the same numbers.  As the new line is still not installed and we have to move shortly I looked into the option of porting my number to a virtual landline so that I wouldnt lose it, and then when Plusnet eventually manage to get Open Reach to get my new line into the new house, I would port it back.  Plusnet staff didnt seem to understand most of what I was asking about and even when I get a staff member who knew a little more, was told that it would be very difficult to port my number back even if I was successful in porting it in the first place.  Surely this isnt rocket science here and as mobile numbers are ported all the time, how come the process of porting lamdlines isnt as simple?????   Where do I get correct and helpful info on this????  PLEASE

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The main restriction on porting numbers back to a landline is the exchange it's connected to. Each BT exchange has a 'number range' for which it's capable of routing incoming calls. As long as the number being ported is within that range then it should be possible. So for instance if the property you are moving to is connected to the same exchange as your current property then it shouldn't be a problem. If it's a different exchange then it's not likely to be possible.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sheepfarm

It will be same exchange as only moving to the other side of the farm, which is why I couldn't see the problem.  Thanks for the reassurance.