cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuiscance calls that cost you money

Ronpon
Hooked

Nuiscance calls that cost you money

Hi there, We have been receiving nuiscance calls for some time now but recently it got so bad that I decided to press the option for to be removed from the calling list. How naive of me! The calls kept coming so I opted to speak to the people maling the call by choosing another option. Of course they cut me off straight away. Anyway that was the start of me looking more closely at what was going on. I was horrified to see that by simply answering the phone from these shisters, I was charged the minimum of a minute on a premium rate line. Looking at my itemised bill I've even got one listed as lasting 44 mins (!). I contacted Plusnet to voice my concern and was disappointed by the response. This included the advice that Plusnet can't stop people (their customers) from pressing buttons on their phones (LoL😀) to offering the call blocking service which I am now subscribing to. However, I think Plusnet and BT should be doing a lot more to cut off these numbers, many of which originate from abroad, without the need for customers having to pay for the privilege. I was gobsmacked that by simply picking up the phone and cutting off the automated call, this sometimes costs money. I would be keen to hear from Plusnet as to what they and the telecommunications industry is doing to crack down on such frauds. If you don't have a legal duty, you certainly have a moral one and I see little evidence that it is being treated as a high priority, even in terms of awareness raising. Is it because the likes of BT is inadvertently also making money out of these scams? Rip-off Britain is alive and well.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nuiscance calls that cost you money

It really is about time that Plusnet introduced "Member Centre" configured call filtering to their home phone product.

Shocked

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

You DO NOT get charged for simply answering the call ! The charges arise when you press "any key"

The same is true if you use 1471 service to find out who phoned you. The service itself is free,the charge arises if you avail yourself of the ring back option.

Ronpon
Hooked

Hi Davidj66,

Thanks, you are correct in that anwering the call one is not charged but by pressing a number to be removed from a contact list or to speak to a person you are!  How perverse and wrong is that? Telecommunications companies need to better protect their customers beyond getting them to pay for a call barring service. Surely they have the technology to prevent this type of fraudulent activity (because that's what it is). And if they know such activity is going on, why aren't they putting a stop to it? Of course if I knowlingly/stupidly answered knowing that such charges are levied that is a different matter. But I didn't so I think my substantive point remains valid. 

w23
Pro

..answering the call one is not charged but by pressing a number to be removed from a contact list or to speak to a person you are!  How perverse and wrong is that?

Morally indefensible.

Are we saying that someone calls you and, whilst still in that call you press a button (number) and suddenly you're paying for the call?

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Ronpon
Hooked

No, I decided to try and get myself removed from their call lists and do so I was asked to press a number (e.g.9). Of course I wasn't removed as they continued to call me and I was charged a premium rate when pressing the number to get my name removed from the list!

w23
Pro

But you just pressed one number during a call made by these people, you didn't dial their number to call them back?

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Ronpon
Hooked

Hi, no didn't call them back.

w23
Pro

Does the number you supposedly called on your itemised bill match the number they're calling from?

Perhaps you should publish the number and we can all try calling it using this: http://0800reverse.co.uk/

Call me 'w23'
Ronpon
Hooked

Maybe you know something I don't. The number is 08443373019, the Energy Centre. There is now no record on my itemised bill. Also no update on billing as from 3 June-after I raised the issue with Plusnet and signed up for call barring on that number.  Mmm strange!

w23
Pro

Google certainly confirms plenty of people complaining about this company.  A common suggestion is to report them to the ICO.

Call me 'w23'