cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance phone calls

Isawitall
Grafter

Re: Nuisance phone calls

For the last two weeks I have been getting calls daily from 001441279431008 offering me free solar panels and boiler, it's getting ridiculous now, yesterday i had three calls and two today.

I've given up answering my phone now and just leave it on answer machine.
I'm not sure if this is the same company but I left a complaint with the ICO
http://ico.org.uk/news/latest_news/2014/nuisance-calls-boilers-insulation-and-solar-panels-30052014.
I'm tempted just to disconnect my phone  Sad
Petard
Rising Star

Quote from: Isawitall

I wonder – if you recorded the 'number unobtainable' tone as your answering-machine greeting, would that put them off?    Roll_eyes
JTaylor
Grafter

Hi Isawitall
I'm sorry to hear that these calls are still a problem.
Have you had a look into any of the options that were posted previously? At this point, it is looking like a renumber is going to be the quickest way to sort this if nothing else has been done.
Keep us posted  Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Isawitall

I'm the same. I only answer my phone if I know who's calling, relatives or friends.
Anyone else who calls is not given the courtesy of an answer.
I could be missing important calls but the spammers have all but killed off the usefulness of a land-line voice service. Angry
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Petard
Rising Star

Quote from: Strat
I could be missing important calls but the spammers have all but killed off the usefulness of a land-line voice service. Angry

I disagree. In 2008 we Petards received some hundreds of junk calls. So far this year, 2014, we have had just four.
This is the result of applying the methods I outlined in my first article. It can be done.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've been on the TPS and associated services for years and I've kept them up to date.
Not sure what 'Zap 'em' refers to.
I recently received a phone book (rare event) and discovered to my surprise I was not ex-directory so corrected that but it will take years to take effect.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Razorback
Grafter

We have assigned dedicated ringtones for family and friends. All other calls are screened by the answer machine. The only messages left are automated and are usually half cut off because the automation does not wait for the tone.
Petard
Rising Star

Well, Strat, the TPS will stop a lot of calls, I think, but by no means all. Same with going ex-directory.
Zap 'em - 'to zap': to attack, kill, destroy, clear, erase..., says the dictionary. By that I meant block the call electronically.
One can't do that so easily with 'withheld' or 'international' calls, but one can repel boarders, so to speak, make it clear they are unwelcome. Three of the calls this year were in a cluster, from an 'international' number. The first two were silent, the last not. I gave the caller a hard time about his accent, which was indeed fairly impenetrable, questioned his choice of career and put it to him that he might do something more useful for humanity than trying to drum up clients for an injury-claims lawyer. Foolishly, he stayed on the line for some minutes listening to this – a complete, morale-sapping waste of time from his point of view.
The point is, he never called again.
The phone is right here in the house with us. When someone unwelcome rings, it's as if he's just walked in uninvited. It's highly intrusive, more so than a salesman who remains outside the front door. I think it appropriate to be vigorous in discouraging such behaviour.
Isawitall
Grafter

I signed up with the TPS some time ago,
Today , so far, there have been three calls from the same Co, Number now withheld.
My answer machine is now full. The Bot must be activated by Voice ?
Time to unplug my phone till tonight I think.
I have been informed that the calls are coming from Italy so the TPS would not stop them.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Now that my exchange presents the number for international calls, the CPR CallBlocker selectively blocks international numbers as well. The only "problem" left is unavailable/withheld calls, which we tend to only answer if expecting such a call.
We can keep track of what's happening as one phone is "unprotected" and registers unanswered calls (but does not ring for blocked calls).
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.