cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance phone calls

MrTAToad
Grafter

Nuisance phone calls

For some reason, we are now getting lots of nuisance phone calls - can there be anything done about these, beyond getting the Anonymouse Call Blocking package ?
We are, of course, with the TPS
24 REPLIES 24
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Nuisance phone calls

Hi TheMapChap,
On Plusnet's side, we are quite limited in what we can do other than Anonymous Call Reject. My apologies for this.
There's a few good suggestions in this thread here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,132595.0.html
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
MrTAToad
Grafter

Thanks for that - if it continues a lot, we'll have to think about changing phone numbers.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's a pretty nuclear option, but let me know if you want to proceed with it.
MrTAToad
Grafter

We'll have to see if we keep getting phone calls every hour or so first, or whether it will just stop...
sjptd
Grafter

I assume you have signed up for Telephone Preference Service (you can do it online free at http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html).
That will stop lots of calls, takes about a month or so to take effect.
Alas, recently there has been a huge increase in calls it does not stop.
AndyH
Grafter

Until legislation is brought in and the ICO start doing there job, there is little you can do to stop marketing calls.
All the marketing/junk calls I get are either unavailable/withheld on the CLI now.
Razorback
Grafter

A good number of calls are “International”. UK companies using offshore call centres to circumvent regulation.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: AndyH
All the marketing/junk calls I get are either unavailable/withheld on the CLI now.

...which is the problem with call blockers (one of which I use) as organisations, such as hospitals/GP surgeries, withhold numbers instead of presenting the switchboard number for all outgoing calls.
A place I worked at had two ISDN lines for internet that were added/transferred to the phone lines for outgoing calls only when FTTP was installed (which ensured an outgoing call could be made at all times). This caused a few problems initially, as people were using the number presented for calling back Shocked  That number was changed remotely by the equipment suppliers, I believe (when asked, the comment was "that's easy to change").
With the new presentation of international calls including a phone number (may not yet be available everywhere) these can now be selectively blocked. Cheesy
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

My phone has the facility to block numbers in a list stored in the phone.
The problem is the list is only 15 numbers long Roll_eyes and quickly filled up with the spoofed numbers the spammers use Sad
It's configured to block 'number withheld' calls but most of the spam calls I get now present a number.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Petard
Rising Star

The last time I looked, the service rejecting calls at the exchange cost £4 a month, £48 a year, £240 in five years. It is much cheaper to buy your own equipment. Some phones can implement black lists, or white lists continuously or at certain times of day. There are boxes that will take a message from an unknown caller and ask you if you want the call put through, and simpler ones that just require him to press a number. These kill most unwanted calls yet mean you can still receive withheld-number calls from your doctor etc.. Another disadvantage with blocking calls at the exchange is you lose sight of the problem. If the calls stop, you may be paying for a service you no longer need.
The only real solution to junk calls is to make them uneconomically expensive for the caller. This is unlikely to happen, so our options are:
1) Need to know. Who really needs to know your number? Go ex-directory. If a company asks for a number on a web form, but has no real need for it, give them another number – their own, for instance.
2) Permissions. Sign up to the TPS (I know the OP says he's done this). Tick or untick the appropriate boxes on forms. If someone calls anyway, tell him to stop. Reputable companies – bona fide pollsters for example – won't call again.
3) Zap 'em. Buy and configure a phone or box that can do this.
All this costs time and perhaps money, and some of it puts limits on the service we are paying for. It's infuriating – but if the calls are a real nuisance, it's the lesser of two evils.
Good luck!  Smiley
MrTAToad
Grafter

Changing phone number is a bit expensive at £36.60, so we wont be going that route...
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I probably should have mentioned the price. My apologies  Embarrassed
It's one of the reasons why I thought it to be a nuclear option.
Matty
MrTAToad
Grafter

No problem.  Will have to see if alternative methods help Smiley
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Keep us posted.