cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance calls

discusbt

Nuisance calls

This is not a complaint, rather the opposite. We changed from BT to a Plusnet broadband and phone package recently, and the regular afternoon nuisance calls seem to have stopped. Do Plusnet have better filters than their parent company?
6 REPLIES 6
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Nuisance calls

Just the opposite. There are multiple examples on here of people who after moving to PN for HP get lots of spam calls. The fact that PN charge for CID as well (free with BT) makes it harder to screen calls.
I invested in a call blocker, and over past 4 months my nuisance calls have dropped to about 1 a week from several a day. If I get a nuisance call now I just press the button and the number is blocked for ever.
Razer
Grafter

I have always been very careful in giving out my phone number and, as such, in years past hardly ever got nuisance calls. After not having one for some time, I now have a line connected and with a number that clearly and recently belonged to some pensioner close by. From day one, literally, of this line being connected I have been plagued by nuisance calls. I really would like to change my number, but imagine that it would cause problems for my BB connection.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

You can change you number without issues wrt the bb. But they charge you for the privilege.
Razer
Grafter

Thanks HB. Thought that might be the case. And with no guarantee that you won't get the ex-number of some old biddy that just loved to fill out all those surveys in the hopes of winning £1000.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

You may still get random calls, they use a random number caller, start at 111 1111 to 111 9999 etc. If they use voip then the call cost is minimal to them.
The only way I know of not to get the calls is never to answer the phone  Angry My call blocker works but it is an upfront cost (£40) but given the number of nuisance calls I used to get it was worth it, over say chose to refuse @£5/month. (or what ever it is)
Razer
Grafter

Sure, as I did with previous numbers, despite being careful of who I gave the number too. I understood such rare calls would be from 'try every number possible' set-ups. The rarity of the calls then is far preferable to having a well used and well shared number from someone else, now. If only phone line providers let us pick our number (as you once could years ago), but I think they know only too well what people would do and they don't want to prevent this nuisance because it's in their interest that calls are made. They don't give a damn about the harassment of it, really.