Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance calls

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Nuisance calls

Hi PN,
We brought the phone over to you from BT some months back. We had an ongoing issue with them and nuisance calls but they did die down for a while. Now they're back!
We're getting silent calls 2-3 times per day, sometimes more. It's really disturbing us as we have an estranged member of family who's attention is not welcome. We're obviously not sure if there is a person at the other end or an automated dialler thats hanging up but its happening daily. I just answered the last one and didn't even bother saying hello or hi, I just listened and it hung up.
Please help.
7up
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
6 REPLIES 6
SomersetBob

Re: Nuisance calls

Get a call blocking phone like the BT 8500, since we got ours all nuisance calls have stopped, we used to get two or three a day. The calls are still attempted but never get through. Gives you full control of who can and cannot contact you - brilliant!
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Although we could offer choose to refuse (£6 per quarter, 1st quarter free) or anonymous caller reject (£4 Per month), depending on whether the calls are withheld or not. There would still be a chance of international or withheld international numbers slipping through, so it may not necessarily resolve the nuisance calls Undecided
We'd be happy to proceed with either of these options if you like (Please note, you'd need to call us to apply choose to refuse) however I have heard good things about the BT 8500 handset's call blocking feature that SomersetBob has mentioned, so that may be more beneficial than a monthly/quarterly charge for a service that has a higher fail rate at blocking the nuisance calls.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
7up
Community Veteran

To be honest we don't need another phone but are there any non phone units that do the same thing?
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Hi 7up
You may find something like the CPR Call Blocker useful:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CPR-Call-Blocker-World-1-Call-Blocker-1200-Number-Capacity-Block-Now/16089...
Kind regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It was mentioned on another thread earlier today, providing you have CLI switched on, and a suitable phone that displays the callers number, just don't answer any calls you don't recognise, if you have an answering service or machine, any reputable company, or genuine caller will leave a message. It does take a while, but the scammers seem to be calling me less since I did this.
7up
Community Veteran

That wouldn't work well for us as we have a frequent foreign caller and our doctors surgery withholds is phone number.
Any other ideas?