Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance calls from 07534 245270...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Nuisance calls from 07534 245270...

Hello,

I'm sure people will be getting fed up of reading about scam/nuisance calls etc - my apologies for adding to the list.

In the last few days I have been getting calls which my Caller display shows as originating from my own number...  Apparently these are from BT, well at least the recorded message says so.  They relate to calls that have came from 07534 245270 (apparently an EE number).  Most of these messages contain gobbledegook - presumably voice texts - I'm assuming a computer attempts to read out the message but maybe they're not in English?  The recorded BT message says they may be pictures or music.  In any event they make no sense.  On another ocassion I have had a call directly from 07534 245270 identifying itself as being from EE and inviting me to go to a website to top up my mobile - obviously i've not done so and in any event I don't have an EE account.

I've reported these calls to the ICO and my number is registered with TPS.

Like lots of people I've been getting nuisance calls for years, thankfully they're very few and far between and they never really bother me but 2 or 3 times a day every day, and often when I'm in bed is too much...  I'm a disabled old fogey and these calls are 'just' beginning to get me down.

I called Plusnet this morning and their advice was to block the number.  They advised me to install Plusnet Protect which apparently is free.  I have since read on Plusnet's pages that this is NOT free and in any event I'm not convinced that this will do anything.

Now i have a BT Premier cordless phone with Call Blocker but I'm concerned that blocking calls from BT may not be a good idea?  I've not been impressed with the BT premier phone as I've not had much luck blocking numbers in the past, maybe I should read the Instructions again.

In the meantime I'd welcome any comments/help, thanks,

John

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Nuisance calls from 07534 245270...

@PNnewbie From your description, that is a spam/phishing number - possibly even from abroad by people using a VoIP phone which enables them to present whatever number they wish. I would say you are perfectly safe in blocking that specific number - it is not from BT or EE - they wouldn't have the same number, anyway.

John
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Thanks jab1,

These messages were saved on my phone and I had to dial 1571 to get them.  This afternoon one of my daughters was listening to them and may have inadvertently deleted them as now 1571 tells me I have no messages.  She listened to one long gobbledegook message and she thought she could identify certain Welsh words (we're up in North Wales so that could make sense).  However we did get a pre-recorded message identifying itself as calling from EE from the same number so it's all very confusing.

As you say sounds like a scam.

Thanks for your input.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@PNnewbie 

You say that you have a BT premier phone, which model and how old is it?

I think that all current and a lot of the older models use the Truecall Call Guardian feature installed. These automatically block automated call diallers. It sounds like yours either does not or it’s switched off. This should block this type of call unless there’s a human on the end identifying them self.

They certainly work for me, I haven’t had an automated scam call get through since I installed one of these phones many years ago.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Sparkrace22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@PNnewbie 

1 weekend we had non stop nuisance calls from 07.30am until 9pm,  crazy, it got to a point where i unplugged the phone as they were ringing every minute.

I contacted Plusnet, and BT it was ridiculous as nobody could stop the calls, very stressfull.

I switched Plusnet protect on.

The way forward was to purchased a BT advanced call blocker, and I studied the set up procedure.

All calls in my phone list are answerable.

Any unknown number, the phone asks who they are, and asks me if i wish to take the call, or press a button and block them

Or I can send them straight to answer phone.

My Witheld numbers go straight to answer phone, obviously I can take the call or ring back if a message left.

Brilliant Phone, nuisance calls for us are a thing of the past

Baldrick1

@Sparkrace22 

Exactly, except the key thing that you missed out is that the caller has to identify themself followed by the hash key. Only after the hash key is pressed does the phone ring to announce an incoming call. If hash is not pressed the call is dropped without the phone ringing. This is how they block automated diallers.

Moderator and Customer

PNnewbie
Rising Star

Baldrick1 - thanks for your input.

My cordless phone is the BT Premium Phone with TrueCall, it's a couple of years old at most.

I find the instructions for setting up this phone a bit confusing - and I may have had the Call Blocker turned off.  The User Guide does say 'Calls from Withheld and Unavailable numbers will be screened as the Call Blocker cannot identify them'.  Calls from our Doctor's Surgery and the local Hospital are invariably withheld which is why I may have left it off when I was setting up the phone originally.

I've turned Call Blocking to Announce and if that works I may suggest the Surgery contacts me via my mobile. The Hospital would be more problematical as they can call from a variety of numbers...

Thanks again.

Sparkrace22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

cheers Baldrick1

so if the caller not pressing hash tag then my phone does not ring, brilliant 

Baldrick1

@Sparkrace22 

That's it.

Calls from numbers stored in you phone 'whitelist' come straight through. Calls in the 'block' list are immediately blocked. Calls from unknown and witheld numbers are all screened.

Moderator and Customer